Free Pussy cAt!

JerryD

Hi .,

Any help with suggestions on how to improve my recordings by changing software, settings or hardware or all would be greatly appreciated. I wrote this for my girlfriend and would like some suggestions on how to improve my recordings. I don't feel like the Yorkville monitors are very accurate since the recordings suck in my truck stereo and I have to adjust accordingly. Thank you for any help!

Link.

Software
Reaper

Software settings
Only effects are on vocals - Slight Readelay with stock - slap fb
Total effects are VST Gclip for limiting, Reaxcomp with Hardness removal setting, and W1 limter effect.

Hardware
Mackie 1202 VLZ preamps
E-MU 0404 USB Sound device
Yorkville Active YSM1P Monitors
Marshall MXL 2003 Microphone
SANsAmp Bass driver DI
Tonelab LE for guitar.
Ibanez bass and electric
ROland XP-30 keyboard
Drum samples from Beta Monkey Music.

Hi Jerry

Saw your other post in the Noobs forum, so came on over for a listen. I think you have some work to do here.

Firstly, I think you have timing issues with what you're playing - you're jumping all over the beat in various places - it almost sounds like you added the drums after you recorded the rest. The incidental percussion bits are the biggest offenders but the music generally is not sitting with the beat. That's the most obvious issue.

From there, you need to develop the drumming a bit more - same patch going on throughout the entire song. Gets tired pretty quickly.

If you're tapping the incidental percussion in manually from your keyboard, then perhaps you need to get to grips with MIDI and sequence it a little better. The piano sounds very General Midi #1 too... any better options for sound?

I think it's all balanced well enough, but the quality of the sounds and the timing issues with the playing are cruelling you at the moment.

Keep at it... nice enough song, and nothing that can't be fixed.. :)

Just my $0.02 FWIW....

I think Armistice said it all...It is a nice litte song though....parts of it kinda reminds me of Paul Simon in the 80s

Thank you.

Thanks for your comments. I listened to your music and it's awesome. You're right about the drums. I thought I heard that as well. I have some work to do with the drums. I'm using acoustic drum samples. I need another solution though. I don't have good control over the drums with these samples and you're very right that it's too repetitive.. Very difficult for me since I"m not a drummer and I also don't play live so I will have to improve he keeping better timing with the drums. I wonder if a drum machine is the solution??? Not sure :( I can work on the sounds as well. Thanks for you're input and start working on improving that. I appreciate the help since I really want to improve. Thank you brother!

I liked the guitar tone and I thought the vocal sounded good.

Some of those piano and other accents are a little too loud.

As has been mentioned there are some timing problems. It seems to be OK in the last half of the song, but the first half has its issues.

Back