Free Noise Reduction Plugins?

or, depending on the material and track you might use a good (as in adaptable) very low ratio expander (or upwards compression depend which way is best to tackle it..

Recording very quiet stuff, or room noise..?

Background noise? Actual sound in the room that the mic is picking up or hiss from the electronics? Noise reduction might work with the latter but not so much with the former.

At first i thought it might be the fan from my pc that i can here but now you mention it, it could be hiss from the electronics. Although it's very a very faint sound, i know it's there.

Under SonitusFX there is a handy noise gate that works very well. Remember to place it ahead of a compressor

Yeah, you got a hard ratio there though. There is depth of reduction which can help mitigate that some.. 'Hold is a nice add.
The regular 'Cake 'FX dynamics does ratios all the way down into useful expansion' ranges- You might be looking at '1:1.2' or something.

Yeah, you got a hard ratio there though. There is depth of reduction which can help mitigate that some.. 'Hold is a nice add.
The regular 'Cake 'FX dynamics does ratios all the way down into useful expansion' ranges- You might be looking at '1:1.2' or something.

Say what?

:)

I don't know of any decent noise reduction plug ins you can get for free--and even the expensive ones have to be used with caution to avoid leaving unpleasant artefacts on your recordings.

A pain in the posterior I know, but you're WAY better off spending the time solving your noise problem at source. If the noise is to do with your room (fan or whatever) then positioning and a bit of acoustic treatment will help. If it's electronic, then experiment with gain staging--or put money into a better match of mic and AI rather than noise reduction.

Finally, if the noise is as minor as you say, you may well find it get's buried in your mix anyway--and hidden noise (at least to my ears) is better than hidden NR artefacts.

Not exactly free, but the NR in Adobe Audition is pretty darn good (best I know before you start spending hundreds on NR alone). Download the 28 day trial, have a play, and see what noise reduction can and can't do.

Whatcha miking? Thru what else?

Standard Operating Procedure for noise (and missing signals).

Pick a box in the middle of the chain. Turn the gain up and down. Noise go with it or stay steady state?

If the noise goes up and down with the gain change, the source of the noise is upstream from the knob your turned.\\if the noise is unchanged by the gain adjustments, the source is downstream from your test point.

Pick a new knob to play with, halfway between your last test point and the relevent end of that audio chain. Check it again.

Rinse and repeat until you have narrowed the source of the noise, or (other anomaly) down to a single processer or cable.

Search "Rich the Tweakmeister, Noise War", and follow his recommendations for eliminating the noise.

Rinse and repeat till all you can hear in your room(s) with all channels hot, is the ringing in your ears from last night's gig, then have a friend over to get it even quieter.

Not exactly free, but the NR in Adobe Audition is pretty darn good (best I know before you start spending hundreds on NR alone). Download the 28 day trial, have a play, and see what noise reduction can and can't do.
I'll second this. NR in Audition is amazing. I had to digitize some old recordings made on a Fostex A8LR (1/4" 8-track). Worse, still, the recordings were made in my old living room which had relatively high ambient noise. Audition was able to give me a dead flat noise floor without much, if any, effect on the recorded the sound.

Whatcha miking? Thru what else?

Standard Operating Procedure for noise (and missing signals).

Pick a box in the middle of the chain. Turn the gain up and down. Noise go with it or stay steady state?

If the noise goes up and down...
Excellent advice :) Known in some circles as the hop scotch' method.
I did have an exception to the rule once. The noise that stuck out from a Hafler preamp ('hifi mot 'mic) + fairly high efficiency Klipsch speakers was nuts. Lowering the level had no effect at all.

Back