free mp3s vs. $ for CDs - care to comment?

crEEk

I was just reading XXX music's post about feeling jilted by an internet culture that fosters, dare I say expects, the free exchange of music in lieu of throwing down hard earned $$ for a CD. Napster and big name acts aside I'd like to offer my humble opinion with regard to indie artists / hobbyists like us. Like many of you have in the past, I released a CD of my original music in February of this year. I spent countless hours writing, arranging, recording, mixing, listening etc. The entire project took nearly 9 months to complete. I invested quite a bit of money into the production and duplication of the CD, with the goal of making back my money so I could do it all over again :cool:. Do I want to make money on my music? Of course I do. But the fact remains, that I live in a small town, gigging occasionally, but even with a great network of enthusiastic fans, friends, and family I still have a few boxes of discs left over that need a home.

Enter the mp3 posting debate. I have to admit that I felt strongly about not wanting to give my music away for free. But as time went on, I realized the potential to reach a much larger audience. Who among us will regularly plop down cash for someone we've never heard of? I wouldn't. Now, I initially did post sound clips at my website, which was a great way to advertise to those who would probably have bought the disc anyway. But what about those pockets of people that truly love good music and are just waiting to discover something that speaks to them? I love it when I stumble across an unknown talent just waiting to be heard (and I've heard some great ones here).I will never offer all of my music for free. But I am willing to give the world a sampling of what I do. It can only gain me a wider audience. Isn't that what we all want anyway?
www.mp3.com/craigingram

[This message has been edited by crEEk (edited 05-04-2000).]

[This message has been edited by crEEk (edited 05-04-2000).]

There's one more option you didn't mention.
Trading CDs straight across.
Your saga of that CD interests me. I also spent many hours and lots of money producing my last CD, which also took 9 months and was finished in late February. I'd like to trade you a copy of mine for a copy of yours but I don't see any E-mail address to contact you to arrange this. I would've used mp3.com's e-mail service, but a lot of artists on mp3.com don't bother to read the e-mail they get; I suppose it's just because they get bored with not getting any and stop checking it.

Back