freaking rondo music...

the necks are different, the bodies are made of different material, and one has a 'flame' top.

the price difference makes sense to me.

i was thinking that the build was not really the same and that it did have some other things on the surfice that you can see from looking that its not the $99 bass... myself i like the idea of a short scale jazz bass for $109 but then thats just me..

I swear this is the honest to god truth..... I bought a SX telecaster from rondo, and cut my hand on the frets taking it out of the box....

Not the top part where you play, the the filing on the side (like where the binding would be on a bound neck).....

You can find a much better bass for 100 bucks at a pawnshop. I paid 75 for mine, and it may not be great, but it hasn't cut me yet.

Get a used squire or ANYTHING besides an SX. I'm not trying to be mean to you. I know you're a young guy and don't have 600 bucks to spend on a bass. I totally understand, when I was 16 I'd do anything for music gear.

I was so hooked on buying gear that I problem would of fought a whine-o for an aluminum can to cash in...... So believe me, I know how it is to be young, broke, and hungry for more gear.

If you have to buy a new bass check out Johnson. They're not "squire" qualitity but they're far better than SX. I used to work at a store that was a johnson retailer. You should be able to get one for maybee 20 dollars more than the SX...... If you take 400 cans from bums at 5 cents a can, that's the 20 bucks right there.

Again, I'm not trying to be mean to you. I'd just hate for you to spend all the money you saved up for (or fought bums for or whatever) and get your first bass, only to find out that it's unplayable...... Forget about "which sounds better", imo a SX is unplayable.......

I know this doesn't really pertain to the post, but all the kids and my school spent a ton of money "tricking out of their cars". I had other plans...... And this is how hooked on trying to get some gear I was.....

I was driving my car (with my girlfriend at the time and a few other friends) and it broke down on the way to the show....... I had to grab my Mid 70's Gibson SG out of the trunk and walk to the gig and ask somebody to jump me off.....

Ya gotta keep your prioties straight ya know? :D

Haha thanks a lot man.

Ya, everyone at my school wants a fast car n crap,
but im set with my 217,000 mileaged volvo.

i think ill just break down, goto a guitar center and see how much i can talk them down on one of those olp's.

pawn shops over here suck and are too expensive.

I bought an SX Jazz bass 5-string, and I think its great for what it cost. The fret dress is fine on mine. If yours is so bad, send it back and have them fix it.

I've got an SX Jazz bass also. It's a decent little bass for the money. I think it plays just fine. My main complaint is the pickups SUCK. I keep planning to replace the pickups but since Bass isn't my main instrument, I've got different priorities.

If you just want something to practice/learn on, then an SX bass is a good deal. If you are really concerned with finding something that *sounds good,* either don't get an SX or plan to heavily modify an SX (pickups, pots, bridge, etc.).

I also have an SX jazz bass. It's a pretty good bass. No problem w/ the frets. >>>ALL<<< low priced gear is going to suffer from lack of consistency in the quality control department, so one SX might have problems and another might be fantastic.

I can afford to get pretty good stuff; I have six Fender basses.

A student of mine got the "baby Precision" SX bass from Rondo. I was really quite impressed by the quality and value of that instrument. Perhaps there are quality-control issues, but this one was really quite nice.

I second or third that...

Scottgman said:
I've got an SX Jazz bass also. It's a decent little bass for the money. I think it plays just fine. My main complaint is the pickups SUCK. I keep planning to replace the pickups but since Bass isn't my main instrument, I've got different priorities.

If you just want something to practice/learn on, then an SX bass is a good deal. If you are really concerned with finding something that *sounds good,* either don't get an SX or plan to heavily modify an SX (pickups, pots, bridge, etc.).

I got... http://www.rondomusic.net/spb57left.html

...because I wanted a bass around, and...

http://www.rondomusic.net/spb57left.html

...for the hell of it.

On both the intonation is fine, they stay in tune as well as anything else and they are playable. Yes, there are some imperfections like some edges that need to be filed and the bridge as well and no, they don't touch my $700 Strats nor my LP Custom but for $280 I got a beater and a bass and they serve the purpose.

Cheap, decent.

I believe that you guys all have nice basses..... And to be honest with a better fret job, upgraded hardware, and upgraded pickups my SX tele wouldn't of been bad. But, I just wouldn't trust a company that sent out a guitar obviously unfinished. And I did try to talk to rhondo about it, and they didn't really do anything to fix the problem. It was kinda a "well you're stuck with it now" kind of situation.....

The neck has dried out...

and when the neck dries out, the wood shrinks, which makes the frets protrude. This happens to all guitars, which is why the more expensive ones have binding on the sides of the fretboard. It's not just there to look pretty. Just re-humidify it, and then if it still sucks, send it back. Are you saying Rondo wouldn't take it back? Send me a pic, I might be interested in it.

I've cut myself on Squires, Epiphones, and even Fenders, as well as a myriad of other cheap guitars. Oh, and BTW, the absolute worst ones have been the OLP's, otherwise I probably would've bought a couple by now.

As far as the price difference on those two goes, VeganZombie had it. Mostly it's the different body wood. Generally the maple and rosewood necks are the same price. If you look at any mid-priced guitar or bass, you pretty much always have to pay more for certain finishes because it changes the wood they use underneath. A finish that you can see the wood grain through forces them to use a better-looking piece of wood, hence it costs more. Go to Musician's Friend and compare finishes within the same axe and you'll see what I mean.
I've got 2 SX basses and one SX guitar. Not high quality by any stretch of the imagination, but definitely as good or better than anything I've seen in the price range, and believe me, I've seen plenty. The tuners aren't very good, but at that price point, what do you expect? My only beef is with the maple fretless, which I bought because, c'mon, where else are you gonna get a maple fretless except on a high end or custom instrument? (This is where APL points out the you can get options from Carvin that they don't advertise :p ) Anyway, the 'fretlines' are really essentially wood frets that have been inserted into the fret slots and filed down. Not a bad concept, but the execution was a little lacking. There's a slight dip where the fretlines are, which kind of messes with the whole fretless vibe. Still, I didn't hate it enough to send it back.

And speaking of finishes, the maple necks on the SX line are tinted to have that aged look of 50's lacquer. Some will hate it, but I dig it.

I like them just because between them and Agile, they've got some very unusual stuff, and I like unusual stuff. I thought I got great email support, too. Answered some pretty weird and stupid questions promptly and courteously.

Here's my suggestion. If you don't play now, and you just want to get something to goof around with, it's fine, as are most of the other cheapo's. Then when you get a feel for the instrument and say 'hey, this is pretty cool' and want to stick with it and take it further, upgrade. If you're getting into/starting a band, my personal advice would be to get something a little better (don't look in the sub $200 catagory) from the beginning and go for it.

Good luck and have FUN.

Back