Fraud Warning !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

newatthis

EMVP Studio's in California has been listing a "Studio Clearance" auction on Ebay, and possibly on other sites as well. I bought a Synergy Desk from them a couple weeks ago, and it was a scam. They took my $550.00 and ran.

Ebay has cancelled their account, and they had like 30 other auctions going at that same time. Apparently everyone was scammed. They had a very elaborate Studio web site, which is now gone, and even the guy called me back at first when I called their Studio number.

Then last week he actually emailed and said "he has been very sick, and the desk will be shipped out that next Monday". I come to find out that was just a stall tactic.

Now the web site is gone, and so are the people from EMVP Studio. And when I call his number back, it just says his voicemail box is full.

If you are one of those who bid and won on one of their auctions, you better file a dispute claim to try and get your money back.

Also if it matters, when I talked to him on the phone I could hardly understand him. Sounded like he was a middle eastern.

So if you are dealing with anyone that your unsure about, make sure you can understand him because my guess is they will strike again under a different name.

Ok...just a heads up!

Also the previous post I had on here with the Synergy 1000 Desk for sale because it was too big for my studio space, well, as explained in the ad, that was to be the desk. So that sale is off the table.

Peace
AJ

Hey AJ,

Thanks for the heads up that's awesome, but such a sad story to hear..... wish you all the best on re-couping your cash.

Take care,
Matt

Sorry to hear that man!!

I got a second chance offer for a firestudio for a rediculously low price. The guy had ZERO feedback. So I assumed scam. I asked him to send a picture of it with my user name on a piece of paper in front of it, his adress, phone number. He did it all and one better with his work info which I verified. So when it comes down to worrying, try to get all the info and verify on an expensive item. If they dont want to give it to you, or it doesnt check out then your better off leaving it alone. Hopefully my firestudio arrives soon.

Best of luck my friend. did you get any of the info on the guy?

-Josh

Paypal advises that the claim will be resolved in my favor if they dont hear back from this guy by Dec 13th. This guy WAS verified with Paypal.

I dont know what all that means (I am verified also) as far as how much they refund, I hope its close to the full amount,,,if not the full amount. :cool:

What's weird is, I called and talked to this guy,,,,then on his own, only a couple weeks ago, he emailed me and said "Sorry I have been VERY VERY sick, so nothing has been sent out, I will ship it Monday or if you just want your money back, please advise" So I responded, "Send me my money back" and said thank you.

Thats the last I ever heard from him. :confused:

Hope he wasnt that sick that he went in hospital or worse yet died? :eek:

The world is crazy sometimes. :(

Thanks for the support people, and I'll let you all know how I make out with Paypal.

Peace
AJ

Wow.... everybody's #1 fear on Ebay..... there it is.

That sucks man, sorry to hear.

Did Ebay call you or are you in touch with them via phone?

I'm just curious as to what there policy with dealing with this is, as I use Ebay a fair amount and I am always freaked that - that will happen to me.

Being "verified" by paypal, which Ebay manages or owns, aren't they on the hook for ALL that money ?

Wow $550?? Just gone...what a waste. :( Hope you can get it back.

Yep $550.00. :( Anyway, a person today just emailed me out of the blue with a ton of information about ths guy. He was searching EMVP Studios on the web and came up with a bunch of stuff on this guy (name and all). So thats a good lead. :o

Here is a part of the email this guy sent me. He isnt messin around which is good. ;)

I did some internet sleuthing and tracked down the owner, his name is XXXX XXXXXX and he immigrated from Tanzania, Africa in 1990. He had some VERY fancy web pages up at "hi5.com" but now they are also shut down or restricted. The web pages looked like a "shrine" to himself. He is also known by his rapper stage name "Doc Jay". He portrays himself as a rising rapper superstar and had alot of pictures of himself with his ladies, cars, and all in his finest 'threads'. He sounded very egotistical, vain and loaded with avarice. He also had messages in there about his relationship with God and how well he liked to treat people. I sent him a very sharply worded email through that website (since his emvp studio email was not working). I basically told him to send our money back or he should start saying goodbye to his fancy life, cars, and ladies, because he could be facing incarceration for ripping us off.

He said when he was searchin the EMVP name, this site, and post came up, thats why he wrote me. :) He also got ripped off, as well as another guy who sent $2000.00 for a Mac Computer. :mad:

Apparently this scam netted the idiot doing it, between 5 and 6 grand off this ebay scam.

Now its my turn to hand his @ss to him. And I am in pursuit as well!! ;)

Peace
AJ ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Only purchase through paypal with a credit card, or a bank card backed by Visa or Mastercard. Then you can file a chargeback with the credit card company. If the credit card company does the chargeback, paypal can do nothing but return the money.

Great for buyers, sucks for legitimate sellers who get scammed by illegitimate buyers.

It's wierd because audio gear has never really been targeted before on a large scale on ebay. These scams run rampant with electronics. It is nearly impossible to legitimately sell a laptop on eBay these days. And ebay doesn't do shit to stop it, because they're still making money in listing fees on all of these fraudulent transactions.

It's wierd because audio gear has never really been targeted before on a large scale on ebay.

One of the reasons I don't use Ebay anymore is because of bogus offers made to me on gear I have listed or on fake second chance transactions on gear I bid on. I would say that at the end of my ebaying experience I was getting 2 or 3 attempts at BS from scammers on every "audio gear" tansaction. Sometimes for weeks after an auction ended.

For anyone who really believes paypal is your friend you are being fooled by the greatest scammers of them all.

Even Craigslist is starting to bring these shitebags in now. I listed an item on CL Seattle and had 3 scammers on the hook in the first couple of days.

:) :) :) :) :) I just got an email from Paypal. They decided on my favor, and refunded all my money. :) :) :) :)

I went to my account and yep,,,,the money ($555.00) was there. ;) So from there I took it and withdrew it right into my checking. lol ;) Not leavign it in Paypal thats for sure. :rolleyes:

Anyway,,,guess things did work out. I still hope this clown gets nailed for what he did to everyone else as well. :mad:

Peace
AJ

If he doesnt have the funds in his account Paypal will not be able to refund you unless u were covered under the 2000 buyers protection program. Good luck i had this happen to me but outside of ebay. But i did everything i was suppose to and guess what i got my mpc1000. I had that dudes accounts locked and all kinds of stuff. So he was like man im sending it i promise. I got it about 4 weeks ago. But i had sent him the money every since jan of dis year. So u do the math. I hope all wokrs out. U can email me or pm if u need some help or w/e.

Nicole

Being "verified" on ebay only means that when paypal submitted the credit card info you provided, it came back as an open account in good standing with info matching the info you provided. Then if you tie your paypal to a bank account, they deposit some pennies into the account and you prove it's yours by logging in and entering the amount. They assume that only the actual card holder will have all the information associated with the card, and that only the actual account holder will have access to the bank account transactions. Pretty secure, ayyyy? All it really does is "verify" that they can collect their fees from your credit card or your bank account if you dont pay your invoices. But it gives you the privilege of telling sellers that your shipping address really does exist.

Hmmm, this jumps out at me today because of this email I received last night. I x'd out the names in case I'm totally off base. But the names were similar.

Dear sir/ Madam.
I just visited your studio page online after getting the link from craiglist. My name is XXXXXXXXXXXXX, I have been making digital music for over 4years now. Pretty good with pro tools 8, reason 4, logic pro 9, cubase 5 and fl studio 9. I was wondering if you guys need any producers to join your company. Music has been my passion since 6 yrs old back in Tanzania, E. Africa. I’m 28 now. I’ve always dream to do music business. I found it so hard to initial on my own due to a lot of factors that hinder my progress. Like financial instablities, lack of trust to the people I welcome to my home studio.i make hiphop, Rnb, raggae, dance hall, African music and pop music. If by any means I’ll get the opportunity to work in your company I’ll never let you down. We’ll change it from underground recording studios to, the pros studio.
Hope to hear back from you.
Yours Sincerely
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back