Fostex VF80:recording a CD, I need quick help please.

Guitar Jim

I'm entering a songwriting competition, but I'm afraid I've left things a little late, and I have only 3 days to figure out how to transfer a great stereo VF80 recording I've made to CD, using the VF80 internal CD.
I'm VERY technically challenged when it comes to this sort of stuff.
I've made a live stereo recording (guitar/vocal) onto tracks 3 and 4. I'm 100% satisified with the result and don't need to add effects at all or alter it in any way (although I will pan the tracks hard left and right, but nothing else needs to be done). The only thing I need to do is make an audio CD of the recording.
I've just been reading the manual and I can see it's going to take me many, many long hours of study and practice to make the CD......... I just won't have that time over the next few days. The manual doesn't explain things *simply*, as most of you probably realise.
I used to think it was necessary to transfer the recorded tracks to tracks 7 and 8 and then simply do the recording to CD procedure...... but there's a few areas in the manual where I get the impression that much more is required and there's parts where the instructions seem contradictory. So I'm a bit confused, and I currently just don't have the time to wade through it all.
So, can anyone please run me through the necessary procedures I need to perform in order to record a CD of the stereo recording I have on tracks 3 and 4? It will need to be in plain, simple language..... and set out step by step.
If anyone can do this for me it would be very much appreciated and a huge help.
Thanks.

In basic, you HAVE to Master your tracks 3/4 down to 7/8. When you start the mastering process, make sure you turn OFF the effects, or they will automatically be put on. The EFFECTS light should be off. I believe by pressing EXIT/NO and holding down the effects button, the effects will be turned off.

After you successfully do the mixdown, the VF80 creates a whole new file that uses the name or number of the file you mixed down from and calls it "MST..." That's the ONLY kind of file you can burn a 2-track stereo CD from.

That burning is a whole other process that the manual isn't great at explaning, but on the Fostex website there's an FAQ section that does a better job.

Essentially, after you load a CD and get to the burning screen, you select the fist open track on the disc "NON...", hit yes, then scroll on the screen on that open track to your "MST..." song, then hit yes again, then you hit REC/PLAY (I believe).

I haven't owned a VF80 in 2 years, but it's a great machine, and the process is much easier than explained in the manual.

Thanks very much for that reply. I went to the Fostex site and found where it was all explained in detail. I doubt I'll have any trouble making the CD now.
It's strange that the manual doesn't explain it all as a logical series of steps...... one really does have to "study" the manual in order to make sense out of it. Thanks again.

I just went into town, purchased some CDs, got back home , followed the CD making instructions, and 2 hours later (I went *very* slowly in order to avoid mistakes) I had my first CD.
The whole process is actually very easy...... whoever writes the complex VF80 manual must be a technician and not a musician.

Back