Fostex vf160 RME didgi1993 sonar 3

hugry ghost

Hi All
Can you help?
I seem to be unable to monitor anything in sonar on my PC using my internal
Via ac97 card.
I am recording from the VF160 using ADAT chanels 9 to 16.
Seems to go in ok in sonar (I cant get anything in on Spdiff!)

Mainly guitar and vocals and using the VF as a Nice input stage.

I would like to monitor stuff using the via card just for timming but all I get is distortion.

I'm running sonar 3 producer on winXP on a fat32 partition ( sonar on the same,
the rest is on NTFS)

I'm beginning to think That this setup is incompatible with each other,

I'm trying to get them all synched for 44.1 khz

RME card tells me that the vf is synched on adat 1 which seems fine.
Any Ideas or places to look.
Cheers
Bob

Hello,
could be due to the fact that the VF-160 works with the DOS Fat16 instead of the Fat32 on your computer. On the other hand, I'm no computerwizard.

Gomp

The problems you are encountering are the problems of recording on a PC. Even if you can monitor, you may have latency problems. Why not just record on the VF then transfer the files to Sonar for mixing?

Adat 9-16?

Hungry Ghost:

This may be a stupid question, but how are you getting your ADAT tracks to record on 9-16? When you set the digital input to ADAT, all of your analog inputs are automatically routed to 9-16. The ADAT inputs take over tracks 1-8. How are you recording ADAT to channels 9-16?

Isn't ADAT1 always channels 1-8?

Paj
8^?

Hi
Thanks for the mails.

Latency was a big issue when I was using my soundblaster platinum
and using the spdiff inputs. Which is why I am trying the RME.

Paj
I thought the VF used tracks 9 to 16 to send adat out ( this how I have done this in the past)
I select ADAT then input select on ch 9. If I use ch 1 I have to bouce the track to 9 or 16 to send to the pc..

The reason I am using the VF to input to sonar is I set up the drum tracks first on the pc and then multi track the guitars. On the VF this is much harder. Is there any software that will controll the VF?

Many thanks for all your help

Bob

Back