Fostex to MacBook Pro

idkDude

I have a Fostex VF160EX. The CD disc drive recently stopped burning CDs. For 10 years this is always how I got the digital files, by burning the CDs and then putting it into my itunes. If anyone is familiar with this unit and has suggestions on what I might want to try to fix the disc drive that would be awesome.

Beyond that, what are some options for transferring data to the mac without using a CD. Can I use the stereo outs of the Fostex with an analog to digital converter in to the Mac? Is there anyway to transfer the WAV file of a mixed-down song or does it have to be recorded into Garageband or Audacity?

I know I should bite the bullet and finally upgrade to a nice DAW and buy an interface. But, I don't have a lot of extra cash at the moment and there are several recordings on the Fostex that I'd like to salvage.

The only digital "out' on that unit seems to be the "optical out" and that's not going to help you. Assuming you're done with your mix you could run an analog line out to any "line in" device like a PC that will convert it to a digital wav. The quality of the PC sound card could affect the final result. On the other hand.........you might be able to replace the CDRW drive yourself with no big deal. There has to on-line references for the part number I'd bet. Maybe even a video for drive replacement. And.....as you can likely see.......that Fostex is selling at fairly low prices on EBay. Since you like the unit and are familiar with it..........you may find a low low price you can afford. And yes.......as soon as you rescue your final mixes...........move on to a good DAW. Best of luck!!

Edit - another thought.........you may want to re-install or upgrade the operating software / system if possible. Sometimes that will help such a problem .

Back