Fostex R8

avieth

I've gotten a few opportunities at buying a Fostex R8, but I'm hesitant because it only uses 1/4" tape for 8 tracks. Right now I can spend $350 for an R8, or $700 for a Teac 80-8, but is double the track width worth double the price tag?

I've gotten a few opportunities at buying a Fostex R8, but I'm hesitant because it only uses 1/4" tape for 8 tracks. Right now I can spend $350 for an R8, or $700 for a Teac 80-8, but is double the track width worth double the price tag?

Are they local pickup? Are both in the same condition? If YES to both questions, I'd get the 80-8 over the R8 ($350 is too expensive for an R8). I, however, would opt for a Tascam 38, 48, 58, 388 and TSR-8 rather than the R8 and 80-8. I'd opt for LOCAL PICKUP over anything.

As somebody who had and sold the R8, I would HIGHLY suggest passing and buying the 80-8. The R8 is fantastic sonically, but Fostex does not make a single part for it anymore and the transport is highly suspect.

shop around. I got an Otari MX5050-8 for $350. there are better deals out there. definitely stay away from the Fostex stuff.

I was talking to a guy from work who happens to own a Fostex R8 and loves it. He told me that it was made in Norway (I think that's what he said) and that I should stay away from models not made there. Later that day I happened to find another R8, this one closer to my house, for $375. He's also throwing in 4 sealed Ampex 457's and the rackmount ears. I think I'll try and bargain down to $325, but probably go with this model.

I was talking to a guy from work who happens to own a Fostex R8 and loves it. He told me that it was made in Norway (I think that's what he said) and that I should stay away from models not made there. Later that day I happened to find another R8, this one closer to my house, for $375. He's also throwing in 4 sealed Ampex 457's and the rackmount ears. I think I'll try and bargain down to $325, but probably go with this model.

Norway? Oh my ....... As far as I know this is a "Made in Japan" model. That guy you talked to is mis-informed in more ways that one.

Ampex 457 (if dated prior to '95) is bad, whether sealed or not, suffers from sticky shed.

That R8 better be in absolutely flawless condition with low ware, otherwise you'll have a $400 door stopper. You'll also need to change the belt and pinch roller (that's not optional). You're very lucky 'cause both are available cheap from here:
http://www.openreel.net/parts_1.html
http://www.openreel.net/parts_3.html

------

Just telling you, they really don't hold up to repeated long term use. Spend the extra money on the Teac because when your R8 dies (not if, when) it'll be worth about $60 as a parts unit and you'll really wish you had that Teac.

Just telling you, they really don't hold up to repeated long term use.

Yup, we've told him several times but it seems the OP is dead set to get the R8. Maybe he's going after local deals [smart] and the R8 is the only thing available but then again he mentioned the TEAC 80-8. Maybe those two are locals.... If that's the case, I'd still look at condition, 'cause a lower use, perfectly operating R8 (though not ideal) is better than a beaten to the ground 80-8. If both are similar condition, I'd take the TEAC in a split second, even if it costs more.

Generally speaking, I've never liked Fostex, due to inferior built and impossible to get parts.

----

Hey C'mon guys.... Ease up! The R8's not so bad. I've got 2 and they both work and sound great! I do agree though about some of what you guys have said. I certainly would not pay 400 bones for one though... no way! If it's mint maybe...MAYBE 250-275 at the very most. If it's not mint, anywhere from 100 - 150 sounds about right. This is my take on it...... Tascam is the more popular brand name and Yes, Tascam takes the cake in terms of "user friendlyness" and "parts availability" - hands down. But as far as Quality, I think they're both about the same. Both Companies made super solid products (Back in the day) but both companies have made some real crap too! I can't speak for the reel to reels so much..I don't own any Tascam r2r's , I do own an older Teac A-2340SX and it is super solid. I'm just speaking portas here.. In my honest opinion...Most of the Portas that came out (and yes I do own a few of them too!) past the late 80's aren't made so well. Certain units had some cool features, but as far as quality and replacing parts (besides pinch rollers and belts because just about anyone can do that) the later units where made to be somewhat disposable. On the other hand, The older units like the Tascam 144, 244,246 ARE built to last (If you replace all the rubber, you should be good to go for a while)
The R8 (again, In my opinion) is a great sounding machine (just like anything that's recently serviced and well cared for) and should serve you well, but if and when it does breakdown (and I'm only saying "when" because EVERY product breaks down eventually) don't expect to contact Fostex for parts. They ARE the worst. They don't really have anything in stock and most of the parts are discontinued (if they even write you back to tell you that- Their customer service really does suck) If the R8 Breaks down you WILL have to end up finding a parts machine for parts. That is your only hope. Until then have fun and record away!:)

aaron: you do make valid comments and we're not trying to bash Fostex per se but if one had to make a decision between that and a similar condition TEAC / TASCAM (and lets say that parts availability were similar for both) then it's not a contest really as the latter is known for its superior built quality, especially tape transport.

Sure, a Fostex R8 can be a viable option, on its own merit, can sound good and provide years of enjoyment but to take it against a similar condition TEAC / TASCAM, for close to 400 bones, is insanity, as you already mentioned.

-----

I think the R8 is a fine design,...

as Fostexes go!

I especially love the integrated lunchpail style handle! How convenient is that?:eek:;)

I'll never be one to slander analog tape recording at 15ips onto 1/4" tape, but I've taken the stance that DolbyC is my less favorite NR. NR is one thing that differentiates TASCAMs from Fostexes, and I have a variety of both.

Crosstalk on a 1/4" 8-track may be slightly worse than on larger formats, but isn't unmanageable or a sticking point for me, nor is it necessarily even noticeable,... due to my immaculately clean recording technique! Heh, heh!

However, I can't speak to recording motorboat sounds!!!:eek::eek::eek:;)

What's the question?

Q:Would I buy either an R8 or 80-8?

A:Yes!:eek:;)

Q:Which would I buy first, if I could buy only one?

A: I have an R8 & not the other one, though I have a 38 if you're speaking of 1/2" in general.:eek:;)

Most 80-8's I've seen were not anything I'd pop for, but there's one currently on dBay that is ultra-clean, and looks worthy!:eek:;)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=350022787944

Dude! Sweet!

Attachments

• 1-Tascam 80-8a.jpg
    1-Tascam 80-8a.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 54
there's one currently on dBay that is ultra-clean, and looks worthy!:eek:;)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=350022787944

Dude! Sweet!

Yeah, I saw that one too and was surprised no one bid, especially that it was 'restored', as claimed by the seller. Looks very clean and the head block seems new. I'd snap it up BUT only if I were in California and could drive out to get it. [Shipped? Are you nuts!?!?:eek:]. I'd also want to see exactly what was done to the recorder, as far as restoration, get the documentation prior to purchase. $700 is not at all a bad price for this beast, especially that it may have been completely overhauled, which would make it a must have.

I've seen not serviced 80-8's go for about that amount and that's too much ['cause they're very old and many are worn out or on their last legs] but this seems a mega deal because of its claim that it was 'restored'.

There's simply no comparison, 'cause the 80-8 is so overbuilt it's scary. The term, 'they don't make 'em like they used to', applies here. I've had one, briefly, and it's indeed a monster.

The 38, a nice machine but until you had your hands on an 80-8, you haven't lived!:D ;)

Dave, what are you waiting for? You need this!!!:eek::D;)

-----

Last edited:
Ahahaha! You guys are funny, man! Ha. Now that I see it, the 80-8 does look like a nice machine! Maybe I'll dump my R8's and get one!;):D
Hey Avieth!, wanna buy some R8's!? Ahahahaha....

Have you ever seen an 80-8 power supply? That damn thing is huge and I'd bet it weights damn near an R8!:eek:

The 80-8 is about 90LBS, has the biggest power supply that I've ever seen and enormous motors, which gives an indication of its overall built quality. The only downfall of the 80-8 is that's it's positively old, a model introduced in 1976 so the transport, electronics etc.. aren't up to par BUT hardly anything after it is built to that same degree of the "WOW" factor, which the 80-8 has in spades.

The 80-8 is a straight forward design, no gimmicks and everything is so damn over built it's crazy plus it looks cool - a design I'd like introduced by TEAC / TASCAM. I'd bet most if not all things in the 80-8 can easily be bought off the shelf. There's hardly anything proprietary in it.

I'd love to have a brand new 80-8 or at least a restored one. I new one, unfortunately, would be prohibitively expensive.:(

A shame that damn near every 80-8 currently sold used is either worn pretty good, needs major servicing or is unlucky enough to be thrashed during shipping.:rolleyes:

-----

Back