Fostex gear reviews

JR#97

Now that I've finally got a VF-160ex I'm going to do a quick review of the fostex gear I've used over the years. I'm pretty disappointed with fostex ditching the VF series. So that leaves the entry level MR series or the high end DVL2424. Nothing in between and no more stand alone mixers.

FD-8: The FD-8 was my first venture into forex land after having been a Tascam, Studer, and Otari tape guy for years. The recorder section of the FD-8 is pretty much the same as the VF08. 8 playback tracks and 16 virtual tracks. Decent editing capabilities and a host of midi functions including MMC of the transport. The analog mixer was limited, but had some serious headroom. I thought the mixer was the best sounding of any porta studio type analog mixer I had ever used. The pre's were ok and no phantom power. ADAT i/o enabled 8 tracks at once recording. The optical i/o could also be set to spdif.

I mated my FD-8 up to my pc and dumped tracks via the ADAT i/o. I would also midi lock and use my pc to play back midi tracks like a drum machine, strings, etc. Final mixing was always on the pc, but I would always track to the FD-8. My pc is just to noisy to track with and my machine wasn't beefy enough to avoid latency and hickup issues.

All in all, the FD-8 is a great value with a great sounding albeit limited mixer. Turning real knobs is something I miss.

VM200 Digital Mixer: If you see one on ebay buy it. These mixers are da bomb! I bought mine so I could record 8 tracks at a time via ADAT on the FD-8. There are 16 channels plus 4 aux channels that can also be the onboard fx returns. All channels have moving faders, mute, solo, and some multi funciton knobs that serve as pan, eq, etc.

The mixer worked great as both the input to the FD-8 for 8 track recording and also mixing off of the FD-8. The onboard fx are ok, but I dont' use a lot of fx anyway.

The real beauty of the VM200 is mating it up to a pc as a DAW controller. I used it to run Cubase SX. Every knob and fader can be assigned as a midi controller which ends up giving you over 100 faders and a ton of knobs to assign. The hard part was setting up the control table. But the "learn" function of Cubase SX made it somewhat easier. It's been a while since I've had a working pc DAW so I'm pretty rusty on that end of things. But it worked great when I was doing it 5 years ago. I'd take the VM200 over any of the control pieces out there anyday.

DP-8: The DP-8 is basically a patchbay for digital i/o. spdif and adat. I used it to connect 2 pc's, the FD8, and VM200. There are dials so that you can choose what input goes to what ouput. Pretty cool device that is a life saver is you have a lot of digital i/o. It will also help in mating up spdif coax to spdif optical. Right now it's between my VF-160ex, pc, and VM200.

VC-8: analog-digital i/o converter. Pretty cool and hard to find. I opted for the VM200 instead when I needed the conversion. The Behringer ADA8000 seems to be the popular choice now days.

VF-160ex: The VF-160ex is like a combo of the basics of the VM88 and the FD-8 with 16 tracks playback and 8 virtual instead of the other way around. Getting into the unit was pretty easy since I'm pretty familiar the fostex way of doing things. I don't care for menu driving things when it comes to recording and mixing and the VF-1600ex is no different. However, I will give credit that most functions are only a button or two away and not buried 2 or 3 levels deep in a menu. I like having the input, source, and record buttons for routing instead of how the vm200 handles the routing. I don't like the limited inserts. Seems to me that if the onboard compressor can only be assigned to 4 channels that the inserts would have been on different channels than those 4. So if I need more compressor options, I go through the VM200.
The fx are basicllly the same as the VM200. Using external requires returning into a channel. Not a big deal unless you need the channel. But that's where having the VM200 comes in handy. I can return into that instead.

VM88: I almost bought one of these, but I'm glad I didn't. The VM88 is the little brother to the VM200. No automation or MIDI. For whatever reason, they seem to go for as much as the VM200 in ebay.

VM04/VM08: Little digital mixers with spdif. I thought the VM08 was decent. I was going to use it to submix a drum kit and then spdif into my VM200. Ended up using a Mackie 1202 instead.

VR08: Basically the recorder section of the FD8. Needs ADAT i/o compatible mixer to work. If you want a quick additional 8 plus 16 virtual tracks without going the D-80, D-90, D-108 route, the VR08 is a great little unit for cheap. I recommend plopping in a hd instead of going scsi.

D-90/D-160: The D-90 is awesome and I'll probably pick up a couple if I can't get my hands on a D-160. The analog i/o is unbalanced rca, though. Kinda weird. I love the removable control panel a removable HD. The D-108 adds 16 virtual tracks, but are hard to find. If I had the cash, I'd just go with the D-2424.

I"m pretty happy with the fostex stuff I've acquired. I'm just sorry to see the good stuff discontinued. I wonder how hard it would have been for them to update the stuff to 24 bit? I doubt I'll ever touch the MR series. I played with a friend's for a little bit and hated it. The only feature I liked was the USB capabilities. It's a good entry unit akin to the ol' 4 track cassette type units.

I've added a D-160 to the stable. Some dude bought it as NOS and then boxed it up for a few years and now it's mine. 0 hours on it. This one comes with all of the upgrades.. both D-sub 25-pin balanced I/O functionality and built-in SMPTE time code and the built-in TC/Sync card and LTC-only chase function enables the D-160 to slave to an external LTC and sync to a video reference signal or word clock. Pretty freaking sweet and I really could have used that stuff back in my audio/video mastering days.

Last night I experimented with having 32 tracks of playback total from the D-160 and VF-160 all into the VM200. The VM200 has a cascade function for hooking up multiple VM200's via spdif. But I ran in the VF160ex into the cascade channels instead and ran 8 analog out of the D-160 in the VM200 balanced ins and 8 ADAT out of the D-160 into the ADAT ins. Totally overkill and I'll probably never use that many tracks. But good to know that there's enough hp to tackle it if I needed to.

The DP-8 digital patchbay is a life saver for dealing with all of these digital connections. Fostex was on the ball for a while there. wtf happened?

Fostex was on the ball for a while there. wtf happened?

My guess is marketing, and also they've moved into much more expensive location recorders for Hollywood and such. Economics have probably demanded seeking out a tighter niche market instead of trying to keep head to head on consumer gear with Korg, Tascam, Boss and Yamaha.

Still, in my view the VF series is phenomenal, and if I have to leave it, unless something new comes out, I'll have to leave Fostex as well. The VF160 is an extremely well thought out machine designed by folks who really knew what they were doing. It behaves like an analogue tape machine in digital clothing.

My guess is marketing, and also they've moved into much more expensive location recorders for Hollywood and such. Economics have probably demanded seeking out a tighter niche market instead of trying to keep head to head on consumer gear with Korg, Tascam, Boss and Yamaha.

Still, in my view the VF series is phenomenal, and if I have to leave it, unless something new comes out, I'll have to leave Fostex as well. The VF160 is an extremely well thought out machine designed by folks who really knew what they were doing. It behaves like an analogue tape machine in digital clothing.

I wish they would have done a better job with the FD-8 and maybe made an FD-16 and came stock with internal hd's. Having an analog mixer with real knobs and inserts that work with material all ready recorded is the best way to work, imho. The digital mixer is the one drawback I have with the VF line. Setting up routing and menu driven stuff gets old for me in a hurry. It sucks that the inserts don't work with stuff already laid down. I can live without dedicated returns if I have to but what's the point of having channel inserts if they only work 1/2 the time. Another set of ADAT would have been nice, too, but I can work around that as well.

Either way, those are nitpicks on a top notch piece of equipment. I looked at going Korg, Akai, and Tascam, but the lack of ADAT i/o made the choice easy.

I got sick of not having dedicated returns so I picked up a VM88 for $100 off of ebay. Now I'm totally a fostex geek. The VM88 is basically the same digital mixer as the VF line. It gives me 4 more inserts as well. So now, I can use the analog outs of the D-160 to get 8 channels with the option of outboard compression between the VM88 and VM200. I also picked up an 8 channel optical compressor off of one of the board members here for a killer price.

I cascaded my VF160ex into the VM88 and cascaded the VM88 into the VM200. 32 channels of playback with 8 channels capable of inserts, and 4 dedicated returns. Once my stimulus check arrives, I'd probably be able to get a digital mixer that handle most of my needs in one unit.:rolleyes::cool:

fostex can burn in hell and die.
and all the detail really helped to see why you feel that way. :rolleyes:
FWIW .... my HD-1624 is rock solid ..... totally stable ...... hasn't given me the slightest problem in 4 years of use.

Hello there !

This post might be more recent and followed...
I just bought a VM200 + VR800 for nothing...
I would like to control the VM200 with Cubase 5...

I have actually some problems with midi chaining ( 1 master keyboard + vm200 + VR800 + Focusrite Saffire ) , I think I need a multiple in/out midi box...
Anyway, even with a simple in/out , out/in , Vm200 / Focusrite soundcard, I got a midi signal, but it seems I have to design everything with generic midi from cubase...
Seems very hard to me...

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Happy new year :)

Hello there !

This post might be more recent and followed...
I just bought a VM200 + VR800 for nothing...
I would like to control the VM200 with Cubase 5...

I have actually some problems with midi chaining ( 1 master keyboard + vm200 + VR800 + Focusrite Saffire ) , I think I need a multiple in/out midi box...
Anyway, even with a simple in/out , out/in , Vm200 / Focusrite soundcard, I got a midi signal, but it seems I have to design everything with generic midi from cubase...
Seems very hard to me...

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Happy new year :)

Actually there was a script for the VM200 to work with Cubase, someone is selling it online (ebay for $20) You will have to go online and serach for it. however I think there is some bsaic midi controls such as fader and eq control.. you can setup without a problem, I use to have one for Sonar until it the LCD burned out.

Thanks for your help Twitch !

Actually, I couldn't find that script, and I think I've typed lots of keywords into Google...
Anyway, I'm subscribing to Fostex support forum to see if they may help get that script...
Happy new year ! :)

Hmm...After reading the doc, I'm starting to get my recall scenes thru midi...
I may not need all automation after all...
The generic devices still a bit hard to me...
Sorry for the "dumb" message, I was a bit anxious to get such old mix table...

But fostex at the moment rox for me :D

Back