fostex g-16 meters dead??

ROBOTQUALITYREC

i got my G16 a while ago and tried it out a few times using only a few tracks. when i put it in record ready mode and played signal... i got no meters lighting up. recorded it anyways...no meters lighting up. played back fine...no meters lighting up. i looked all over the manual, made sure the meter mode was "normal" not calibrate or 0db or anything weird. no meters. i emailed the guy and he said "you either have on the input monitor or safety ready on" tried again...no meters. is there something i'm missing? the meters are part of the detachable panel with all the remote functions and such. all the LEDs and functions work on the remote section. is there any way the meters could have been fried or cut off?? maybe im crazy and need to try yet again. thanks! -mike-

You might have a bad connection in that multi-pin plug that connects the meter/remote unit to the chassis.

If your machine was anything like the R8 I used to own, that short cable was detachable so that you could put an extender cable to actually use it remotely.

Perhaps some damage was done to the connector or the short wire from being pulled or pinched by the previous owner.

Look for signs of separation or stress on that wire assemble and if it looks good, try a good contact cleaner on the plug and the socket it goes into on the machine.

You might have to open up the connector and re-solder any wire that got pulled out if that's where the damage lies.

Good Luck! :)

I own a G-16-S and I'd go with ghost on this one....The same sorta thing happend to me with my extion lead to the autolocater so I changed the cord (the multi pin jobby) and all was good.....

thanks!

ill check out that wire. i do seem to remember a couple "kinks" or little dents in the jacket of the wire when i looked. didnt seem like it would affect anything. i was too lazy and afriad to try and disconnect it cause i knew i would probably break something. OH i also wanted to ask this: all is good with recording and playback as far as the smoothness of operation. BUT when i rewind (it is some kickin high speed rewinding) i hear "chink-chink-chink" of the tape brushing against the edge of the reel(not the takeup). i noticed that the hub (maybe just the reel?) has a liiiittle wobble in it. very slow and steady. i made sure the reel was all the way pushed on the hub. but the reel did seem "loose". cant notice it on play or any normal speed work. anything i can do to diagnose/fix that? THANKS AGAIN!

If there is a reel table hight adjustment, you might be able to fix the rubbing problem.

If you have the owners/service manual and it is properly written, it should document the procedure. If not; you will need to get it serviced professionally to correct the problem.

Cheers! :)

Back