Fostex FD-8: does it support simultaneous recording of 8 analog inputs?

rboyce_boston

Hi.

I'm considering buying a used Fostex FD-8 digital recorder. However, from what I've previously read about this unit, I'm confused as to whether it will support SIMULTANEOUS recording of 8 analog tracks. I don't plan on using the ADAT input; I'm concerned about whether I will be able to record 8 tracks simultaneously using the unit's analog inputs/mixer.

If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Ray

nospam__rayboyce@comcast.net

You can record 8 tracks at once via the analog inputs... you just can't record more than 2 unique tracks at once. What you get is the L-R mix-buss tracks duplicated for as many tracks as are armed.

You can only record 8 unique tracks at once via the Adat optical. Which is why I picked up a fostex vm200 digital mixer.

There are some cheap ADAT interfaces out there and they really are worth the extra few hundred dollars if recording 8 tracks is a must. Plus, they can also be used in other capacities as your studio grows.

Umm...I'm a little confused by your answer. You said, "You can record 8 tracks at once via the analog inputs... you just can't record more than 2 unique tracks at once." So, do you mean that the unit will take the 8 analog inputs and buss them over to 2 tracks? Unless I use the ADAT input, which would allow me to do what I want?

Thanks,

ray

P.S. If I were to pick up a digital mixer like the VM200, what cheap digital recorder would you pair it with (one that would support 8 tracks of simultaneous recording)? Thanks.

Jr's right.

The Fostex FD-8 will record up to 8-simul, but with the built in mixer, you'll be recording only the L/R stereo buss onto 4 pairs of tracks: 1/L-2/R, 3/L-4/R, 5/l-6/R, 7/L-8/R, and that's not exactly what you're after, is it?

In order to record on the FD-8 onto 8-tracks simultaneously, in 8-buss, or 8-individual track feeds, you'll need at minimum the FOSTEX VM200, or any mixer that will feed 8-discrete inputs to the FD-8 over the ADAT I/O. Unfortunately, on the FD-8, those are the rules of the road, and it just doesn't get any better than that.

Now, you may want to consider another tape deck that records 8-in/8-out simultaneously, but without an outboard mixer that feeds ADAT I/O, & it's not gonna be the FD-8. However, the FD-8 and VM-200 -type mixer is a fine setup, if you choose to go that way.

The units I can think of, off hand, that will record 8-simul are the Tascam 688 Portastudio, the Tascam 238 Syncaset, the Tascam 388 Studio 8, Tascam 38 & TSR-8. That's all I could think of, at this time,... plus the bigger analog decks, such as the MSR-16, MS-16 and MSR-24.

Also, as an afterthought, I believe the Fostex VF-16 will record 8-tracks simultaneously, through it's built-in mixer, and also the Yamaha AW-16G. That's if your looking more for digitals instead of analogs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info...that clears up my confusion.

You guessed right...that's NOT what I'm going for. I definitely want to be able to recorder 8 tracks simultaneously in the digital domain.

Thanks for your other recommendations. Do you have any thoughts about pairing up the vm200 mixer with either the Fostex vr800 or the D-90 (or D-80) HD recorders?

Thanks,

ray

The VM200 w/the VR800 seems like a good combination,...

but I can't tell you anything about 'em, & haven't checked the specs.

Also, the D80 or D90 seem like decent recorders, fwiw, and they do accept recording 8-simul.

The Vm200 paired with anythign is a good combo. Especially the FD8. Using the VM200 with the onboard mixer of the fd8 gives you a lot of options for monitoring, tracking, mixing, etc. The VR800 is basically the recorder section of the FD8. From what I've tracked on ebay, there is only about $100 diff in price between the FD8 and VR800.

In my set up, I track to the FD8 through the VM200, then transfer those tracks to my PC via the ADAT i/o for mixing/editing.

Back