Fostex e2

osiris

Just scored a Fostex e-2 tape deck for free! Its been gathering dust for who knows how long so I don't know what kind of condition its in. Haven't dealt with these types of machines before but I'm excited to play around with it. Just wondering if anyone owns one of these, or if anyone has any advice in general for an analog newbie(i.e. regular maintenance, cleaning, where to get tape, etc.) Thanks!

Have somebody help you lift it! Dang,... heavy!

The E-2 is one of Fostex's topline 2-track mastering machines. It has L/R sync overdub capability, if u wanna go there, and it has center track timecode, if you're so inclined. There's a variety of mic/line inputs/outputs, but forgive me if I'm mistaken about the mic inputs, as I'm not standing right in front of the machine at this moment. It will use 10.5" and 7" reels at 2 speeds (7.5 & 15ips). It's a pretty good mastering deck that has a few bells and whistles. A great score for free!:eek:;)

Hey thanks for the reply...
so I cleaned it up and loaded some tape up and it works fine except that it doesn't record or playback audio, has a loud humming noise on the outputs, and starts smoking when you leave it on too long:eek::mad: It left my control room smelling like burning rubber:D So I guess it needs some help...

Is it worth getting it worked on? Do I have to send it to Fostex to get serviced?

so I cleaned it up and loaded some tape up and it works fine except that it doesn't record or playback audio, has a loud humming noise on the outputs, and starts smoking when you leave it on too long:eek::mad: It left my control room smelling like burning rubber:D So I guess it needs some help...

Is it worth getting it worked on? Do I have to send it to Fostex to get serviced?

IF the rubber has deteriorated, it affects the belts and washers in the brake solenoids. If the brakes do not release, it may cause the brakes or motors to smoke. You'd have to remove the front panel to inspect the brakes.

A non-recording/non-playing situation might be related to head gunk. The most notoriously sticky tapes will gunk up the heads and foul them up 100% to the point it doesn't play or record. A thorough cleaning with alcohol and swabs is recommended. Any stubborn black marks should be noticed and dealt with. I'm not sure about the other input/output, but you have to start out looking at the heads.:eek:;)

The power supply, among other things, needs to be looked at. Sounds like some caps are bad,

:eek: It started smoking!?

It's definitely worth getting worked on. Worth your time, and/or your money. The machine will live for a long time if well maintained. Like Reel Person said, clean the heads and tape path. You'll probably notice that the heads are covered in brown stuff. Some isopropyl alcohol (as potent as possible) on a cotton swab (or 2 ;) ) will get it off. As for the smoking... I don't know what to say. My first guess would be the power supply, but I have no clue how you would go about fixing this. I would just take it in to the local gear store and have them check it out.

Back