Fostex B16

Spooler

Hi All. Just purchased a fostex B16 for what i think is a resonable price. Never owning a fostex machine before i was wondering what the pro`s and con`s are with this machine. Something for me to think about while im waiting delivery. Oh and i got the 4050 autolocator with it. Cheers. Dave.:)

Hi Dave

I have a B-16 that I got in here to use for transfers of half inch 16T tapes for my clients, and additionally my sons use it for recording demos.

Advantages:
  • Tape is relatively cheap being half inch rather than 1" or 2" for those 16 tracks
  • Tape handling is gentle
  • Small (compared to pro- machines)
  • Easy to operate
  • Built-in varispeed is handy
Disadvantages:
  • Cassette-proportion track width means high inherent tape hiss, that even with the built in noise reduction results in (to my ears) a rather "murky" sound.
  • 2-head tape machines are a pig to do record alignment on.
  • -10dBV I/O levels are incompatible with most outboard equipment.

Overall:
A relatively economical introduction to analog recording. You can always move up!

Regards

David Ollard
www.thinbrownline.com

Hi Dave

I have a B-16 that I got in here to use for transfers of half inch 16T tapes for my clients, and additionally my sons use it for recording demos.

Advantages:
  • Tape is relatively cheap being half inch rather than 1" or 2" for those 16 tracks
  • Tape handling is gentle
  • Small (compared to pro- machines)
  • Easy to operate
  • Built-in varispeed is handy
Disadvantages:
  • Cassette-proportion track width means high inherent tape hiss, that even with the built in noise reduction results in (to my ears) a rather "murky" sound.
  • 2-head tape machines are a pig to do record alignment on.
  • -10dBV I/O levels are incompatible with most outboard equipment.

Overall:
A relatively economical introduction to analog recording. You can always move up!

Regards

David Ollard
Analog to digital tape transfers | Transfer analog reel tapes to digital

NEED HELP! Just got a Fostex B-16. Everything seems to work except I cannot get it to record anything and I feel like i have tried everything! Am I missing something? I get the input connected and and getting a signal on the mixer AND the reel to reel, but nothing stays on the tape when I press record! WHAT AM I MISSING?!?!?!?!

--Please help, super old thread, but I am desperate.

-thanks guys

In all seriousness, I am really sorry. As i mentioned in my other post, I only bumped three threads. Didnt think it was going to cause a problem. Also, two of the threads I bumped were at least 5 years old, figured no one would see those, apparently I was wrong. New to forums, did mean to start a ruckus, just wanted some answers. I wont happen again, sorry boys.

Back