Fort McMurray being evacuated

Haven't been to Fort McMurray since the early 70s when we did some filming at Keyano College there (and the director contrived for me to get a pin in the face while doing a clapper board at one point) but sorry to hear things are so bad there.

Haven't been to Fort McMurray since the early 70s when we did some filming at Keyano College there (and the director contrived for me to get a pin in the face while doing a clapper board at one point) but sorry to hear things are so bad there.

California gets em yearly.

We have fires every year here in Australia as well, but I don't recall an entire city of 60,000 people ever being evacuated.

This is the city that supports the Oils Sands so lots of people are royally screwed - no jobs and now no houses.

---------- Update ----------

They are saying 1200 homes and businesses are either partially or totally burned down.

It seems Canada and Australia are getting closer together - in the wrong ways.
WE call them bush fires and in the last year they've done a LOT of damage and taken quite a few lives. Added to that is the amount of carbon going into the atmosphere that will be very hard to offset in any attempt to reduce climate change and prevent more wildfires.

We have fires every year here in Australia as well, but I don't recall an entire city of 60,000 people ever being evacuated.

I think we've probably had a bit more practice in dealing with them, and not so many forests. Must be pretty surreal for the poor Canadians if this isn't a regular occurrence for them.

The world needs El Nino to fuck off for a decade....

El Nino meant way below average snow this winter. The Boreal Forest in Alberta is tinder dry. Lightning, cigarettes and ATV muffler sparks are the main ignition factors. It's supposed to be a dry summer too so these fires will likely just get worse.

88000 people evacuated from Fort Mac
1600 Homes and Businesses burned so far
2 babies born in evacuation centers
2 killed on highway while escaping the fire (probably gawking at the fire or texting)

I think we've probably had a bit more practice in dealing with them, and not so many forests. Must be pretty surreal for the poor Canadians if this isn't a regular occurrence for them.

The world needs El Nino to fuck off for a decade....

Forest fires are all too common in Canada...but more often in other parts and never on this scale in my memory. Fire is a particular risk in central British Columbia which combines hot, dry summers with sap-filled pine trees. They're not quite as explosive as Australian gum trees but they come close. On my last visit to Canada (about five years ago) I recall driving for many miles through an area (near Kamloops if that means anything to some of you) that had recently been completed razed by a fire.

Back