Forensic Audio?

DigitalDon

I need to do a little "forensic" work for a friend. Can someone recommend software (freeware or very reasonably priced) to attenuate or remove background noise such as road or wind noise. The bulk seemed to be below 1KHz so that was easily EQ'd out. Still enough background noise though to make conversation hard to hear. Bias Soundsoap Restoration software is definitely out at $500 a pop but I think that's something like what I'm looking for but without the bells and whistles. Thanks..........

DD

SoundSoap is *cheap* restoration software. Perhaps the cheapest.

But almost any FFT EQ is going to go pretty far.

You're pricing SoundSoap Pro...look at SoundSoap 2, it's much cheaper and decent. I have a review of it here.

I will tell you from experience, if the noise is much louder than the actual conversation, it's going to be extremely hard if not possible to clean it up enough. And also know that noise reduction techniques can create new artifacts in your audio. Including a flanging sound and changing the tone of the voices. You just need to balance between acceptable and unacceptable.

There's plenty of plugins out there to help with this, but they get more expensive the better they are. SoundSoap is good for minor surgery, but you'll need to look at something like Cedar to do a GREAT job. You may also want to call around the local studios to see who might be able to accomplish this task for you.

you gunna tell us what this is all about?!? :D

I've found the waves restoration bundle to be damn good for removing tape hiss and clicks without changing the sound *too* much, however i suspect this will be out of your budget.

I'm actually making some progress using EQ and multiband compression. There is a very noticeable difference when I click the bypass button. Note to self: Turn down volume before clicking bypass button especially if using headphones. Still have a ways to go to get a vocal track you can understand.

Back