For those with VF-160

YungPoke

How do you record your music once you have everything mastered down the way you like? I get the impression you cant burn it and that you have to have an external device (ADAT) or something to record your master. If Im wrong please let me know because i really need to record my mastered material. Once I turn the unit off i loose all info and have to remaster it again. Thanks in advance.

On the VF160, all mastering and burning can be done without any external devices. The manual is an excellent source on this.

im not talking about the internal mixdown where you have to have everything on tracks one and two....im talking about mixing down all 16 tracks....also if this is true then how can i save my mixdown so when i load it back up everything is how i left it after the last mixdown?? Thanks for your help...and ive been reading the manual for months now its really no help......actually its one of the crappiest manuals ive ever read....everything is all over the place.

Hmmmm. If you're talking about saving all 16 tracks as 16 tracks, then this is not a "mixdown". A mixdown means going from 16 down to a 2-track stereo master.

So, if you want to save 16 tracks as 16 on a CD, then do a save program via the SETUP menu and use the BACK-UP -- FDMS-3 option. This is the Fostex proprietary system that saves all of the parameters you have set in the program -- EQ, effects, pans, fader positions...

To set and save parameters in a program, after you have things set the way you want, you then want to hit the SCENE-STORE key. (P.17, #14) You can enter this initial mix as is, then when you backup your 16 tracks via the CD, all settings will be on the CD. When you load from the CD back onto the VF160, all settings will be remembered by the VF160.

By the way, if you name your programs, unless you're running out of program space, just leave them on the VF160, with SCENE-STORE and each time you restart the machine you'll be all set. Using the SCENE-RECALL key (p.17, #13) it will recall all the settings, though you must go into the SETUP mode to activate fader recall (p.138). Hit the FADER ADJUST key (p.19, #52--p.21) and the display will show you where your faders were when you saved the settings on SCENE-STORE. This is great for going back to a mix to make tweaks here and there. When you're happy, then hit SCENE-STORE again and either save as initial mix, or as another mix.

Personally, I leave all my programs on the VF and only back-up a mix on CD when it's all done. Even then I still leave it on the VF as well.

I think I Might know what you are trying to get at.

Once you have all your panning,EQ'ing,effects etc applied to your tracks,Press the STOP button,then press the STORE button.

Give the scene a name and Click Enter/Yes.It will say something like *Saving Scene* and then it'll go back to the main screen.

When you boot back up,press the RECALL button(right beside the STORE button) and find your previously saved scene.Hit Enter/Yes and all your saved settings are recalled.

You can save up to 99 different mixes and scenes like this.

Hope this helps.

[edit to add]It took me awhile to reply and I see billisa answered your question already about the Scene/Store and Recall.:eek: ....thats what I get for making a sandwich in the middle of posting.:D

Just to add to this...

You can even get the VF160 to remember where your faders were, if you edit the program settings you can tell it to remember this info when a scene is stored.

Then, once you've recalled your scene you can use the fader adjust option and that will show you on the screen where the faders are supposed to be. I've found this invaluable as I tend to mix down and burn a song, then give it a few weeks of listening on various stereos before going back to make tweeks. By this time I'm probably half way through a new recording and it helps to start a new mix from where I was.

Did that make sense...?

man all three of you guys hit it on the button....thats EXACTLY what i was talking about.....sorry i used the wrong terms.....im a novice at mixing....anyway i cant thank you guys enough....youve just saved me a LOT of TIME and FLUSTRATION!!!!!

storing scenes

The following info is based on my VF-08, so I'm sure the VF160 has these capabilities:

Not only can you store scenes - with info like fader positions, effect settings, pan setting, etc., but you can create a "scene sequence" where the parameters change during the playback based on a marker position. It's a great way to change parameters mid-song - although fader positions have to be changed manually, you can see where they need to go. Use "map" to set up the scene sequence.

The way that I do it is I Burn all tracks to a CD (Save as Wav) and import them to my puter. I then import the tracks to n-Tracks or PowerTracks Pro Audio 8d for mixing. They have always lined up perfectly no matter how many tracks that I have.

With an ADAT Card or Machine, you can only Import 8 at a time.

Back