For those who asked.

2lim

Hi, it is me, for those who remember when I used to frequently post around here. I haven't had much time to record or even post recently, however my band and I decided to throw together what we thought would be a good "drinking anthem" after a few members asked for some new stuff from me(in voxchat). We don't have a name for it, but it is VERY canadian, lyrically, and kinda celtic-ish in style. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1055&alid=-1

Simon

2lim, that's pretty cool. It's short, though, isn't it?

Anyway, you have a cool sound there, so indulge your listeners and pls make the songs a tad longer. What you have sounds good, though. It's a solid, young, punk-y sound. Cool!;)

Thanx Simon, it sounds cool. Drinking anthem, eh? Yeah, I could see that. Bottoms up!;)

Make them longer????????

Yeah I can see that, we had a few songs that were about 5 minutes a piece, that never got finished. The problem with making songs longer than 2-3 minutes is that 3 out of 4 members in my band have wicked ADD, and we get bored halfway through the song, so the short ones get worked on more! lol. Thanks for the compliments!

Simon

Simon,

I enjoyed the tune. It sounded like you guys have fun playing together and it shows in the spirit of the music.

I am assuming that was a live, off the floor recording? Not a bad mix if it was.

What was the recording format? Cassette? If so, maybe try something a little fuller sounding next time like a DAT or a two track reel to reel.

The mix sounded a little washed out otherwise.

Nice effort! :)

That is actually a computer recording. The only problem is that it is on my lead guitarists computer, and he insists that the mix sounds pro.... I say it isnt even close, and a few things need tweaking and adjusting. All he has done is set volume levels, and said he was done, so he is refusing to let me finish up the mix(even though I am the one responsible for recording all our stuff). Hopefully I will be able to get the tracks from him to set up a little better.

Simon

The vocals need compression and reverb, they are not sitting in the mix. Nice song though.

BTW, once a song passes 2:30, you are on borrowed time, so ignore the previous advice and keep the length where it is.

I listened to this the other night and thought I replied. That cough syrup I been taking causes an occasional time warp, I think. Anyways, its a cool song. Fun, frat racket, party sounding. Turn up the singing some more.

I agree on the vox. I talked to the guy tonight, and he still wont hand over the mixes for me. I told him the guits are a bit dead, and that myke(singer) sounds like he is singing behind a pillow or something, but he is still refusing, I am gonna get the band to pressure him a bit.
Thanks for the feedback though, hopefully I will be able to remix it and repost it!

Simon

Tell your guitarist that he wouldn't know a pro mix if it bit him in the @ss. :p

:D

You need a lot of work on the mix. The performance isn't bad, and the song works for the genre...

but you need major compression/EQ on the vox... you need to get it out front of the mix. And you really need to mix the drums... compress each element... get some life in your kick and snare, (plenty of EQ'ing needed) separate the over-heads (assuming you used over-heads :p) etc. etc. etc.

Not a bad job by any means, but could really be improved by some relatively simple mixing/processing.

WATYF

Thanks for more advice WATYF. Yeah I think I may head to his house tomorrow, and grab the tracks. I tried fixing the final in soundforge, but there is too much to do. When I adfjust it so the kick sounds good, then the bass and guits sound funny etc. I really want this song sound good, as it is one of our favourite songs to play, and it hs been well received everywhere we have performed it.

Simon

Back