For those of you who are "professional" mastering engineers...

randyfromde

I'm currently recording a demo/EP in a studio. Depending on the results, I think I am going to have it mastered.

What is your preferred format to receive a 2 track mix? For tracking, it's going to DAT then we are mixing in the computer. After that, the format can be whatever. I've seen a bunch of places that say pretty much anything that is not in a 'lossy' format.

What about mixing someone else's tracking work? As I said, the songs/tracks are already on DAT...should I leave the raw tracking in that form? I know we are going to touch up the tracking on the DAT for minor drum timing issues. So get a DAT of the 'fixed' timing, or just the raw work and fix the timing at the new place?

The reason why I ask is I'm thinking of changing studios to record the other half of the album. While I'm getting okay results where I am, I think I could do better in a different environment.

Just in case - When you say "DAT" do you mean "ADAT?" - One is an 8-track S-VHS (ADAT) one is a 2-track sub-cassette (DAT).

Anyway, you want to send out finished mixes. If you're mixing DOWN to DAT, you can just send the DAT. If you're mixing in the box to PCM files, send the PCM files. Mix down to 24-bit 44.1kHz or 88.2kHz and you're golden.

Perhaps remix the stuff from studio (A) in studio (B) if there's a pretty good difference between them.

Last edited:
Yes, sorry. 8-track ADAT.

Okay, so sending 2-track PCM or WAV in high resolution OR 2-track DAT of finished mixes, either is fine. No discernible difference?

The 'remix' aspect comes in because I do singer/songwriter stuff. The 4 tracks done so far are full band (drums/bass/acoustic guitar/electric guitar/vocal), and these guys are used to doing punk rock. It works out, sounds pretty good so far but not ideal. The other 'half' of the tracks I want to do will be solo acoustic guitar and voice, so I definitely want to go to a place that's a little more polished. Since these guys look at me like I'm nuts playing a guitar in DADGAD, this ain't the spot for that!

For the most part, 24-bit would be preferred, so WAV files at 44.1/24 or 32 float would be the better of the two. 88.1 or 96 is fine with most mastering houses also, but I find most of my clients using 44.1 and being happy with it. It's a pretty huge step up from 44.1/16-bit (such as a DAT tape).

randyfromde said:
Yes, sorry. 8-track ADAT.

Okay, so sending 2-track PCM or WAV in high resolution OR 2-track DAT of finished mixes, either is fine. No discernible difference?

The 'remix' aspect comes in because I do singer/songwriter stuff. The 4 tracks done so far are full band (drums/bass/acoustic guitar/electric guitar/vocal), and these guys are used to doing punk rock. It works out, sounds pretty good so far but not ideal. The other 'half' of the tracks I want to do will be solo acoustic guitar and voice, so I definitely want to go to a place that's a little more polished. Since these guys look at me like I'm nuts playing a guitar in DADGAD, this ain't the spot for that!

Whatever medium you are mixing to is the best format. If you are mixing to DAT, make a digital backup and send the original, or run 2 copies when mixing. Don't take the DAT mix and run it into a computer for no reason other than to create a CD.

If you are mixing from a computer, send the bounced/rendered mixes in the same format that you used while recording. DO NOT upsample the material (e.g. go from 44.1K to 48K after mixing), normalize, or process the mix. Likewise if you are mixing as 24 bit or 16 bit, save the mixes at the same bit depth, and store the mixes on a data CD.

What version of ADAT are you using? The original (black ones) or a newer version? All versions of ADAT can record at 44.1 or 48K, the originals were 16 bit, the later ADAT XT at 20 bit.

I fear that I am using the wrong terminology, so I'll just list the actual equipment....

Two Tascam DA-88 machines have the raw tracks on them right now. The mixing will be done in the computer after minor editing for timing issues.

randyfromde said:
I fear that I am using the wrong terminology, so I'll just list the actual equipment....

Two Tascam DA-88 machines have the raw tracks on them right now. The mixing will be done in the computer after minor editing for timing issues.

My suggestion would then be to run the DA-88s via digital output into the computer at the same sampling frequency and bit depth. Mix to the hard drive, again at the same sample rate/bit depth as the recording. Don't dither at the output.

Copy these mixes to a data CD and send for mastering with notes on the types of files that are on the disc.

Okay, thanks Tom.

I sent you an email through the board. I had a question for you about studios since it appears that we are in roughly the same location in the world. If you don't get it, please let me know.

Back