For some one who wants to get into protools

Flick

Hey everyone!

I have been attempting to use Cubase SX for the past 6 months and there has been one bug after another bug, so I need to replace this. I am looking into the future, and pro tools is something that I will need to learn for the future anyway, so I am thinking about upgrading to that. But then there is the M-box, digi 002, and the list goes on. What would you guys suggest with someone with a somewhat limited budget (can't do the full blown yet:))? Thanks to all in advance!

Whats you limited budget?
in order of price for a le system:
m-box
digi001
002 rackmount

and it will only run as good/fast as your pc is.

specs

I have a pent 4, 1.8 gig PC, with 256 ram (upgrading to 512+ in a couple weeks). It runs XP.

I would probably go up to the rack. The reason being is that I have an 01v, and know it well. Getting another control surface wouldn't make sense for my setup since I am pretty fluent with the 01v. Thanks!

Are you tracking an entire band? More importantly, are you tracking live drums? If so, then the M-Box won't cut it as it's only 2 inputs I believe.

Since you don't need another control surface, I'd go for the 002 rackmount (around $1,200-1,300 online) - which has better mic pres and converters than the 001 or M-box. Both the 001 and 002 have 8 ins/8outs and SPDIF/optical outs if you want to upgrade your converters or add more channels. Unless you're planning on getting converters like the Apogee, Lucid, Benchmark, Cranesong, etc. or preamps like Great River, Avalon, etc. in the near future as well, the 002 will be more than adequate and worth the extra $400 compared to the 001.

Consider using a Fostex MR-8 and PowerTracks on the PC. Total cost about $350.

Record on the MR-8 and move to PC to mix. That way you get 8-48 tracks of digital data, a mobile recorder, all at a low cost.

Ed

bugs

Well, I had the poof problem until update 1.06. Then once I updated it, I could open cubase one day, but the enxt it would show errors. I would reinstall, and boom, it did it again. Its to the point where I jsut cannot be creative on it. And im saying this loving Cubase, because it has the features that i really wanted. But 6 months is 6 months lost. and it stinks.

It looks as if 002 is my best bet from the previous posts. I am not tracking a lot of live stuff, but want that capability when the time comes. Thanks for all the input thus far! any additional input is appreciated as well.

Hmmm... SX is generally pretty solid. I wonder if your computer has issues that will not be resolved by getting a different system. Check on the Digi site to be SURE your computer matches the compatbility requirements for the 002r. And make sure you know what the return policy is- it would suck to get the 002r and find that the computer was the source of the errors and not Cubase.
:eek:

Take care,
Chris

I dont see why no one didnt tell you this but, looking at it financially, why dont you get a AUDIOMEDIA III card, most of the time it'll come with PRO-TOOLS 5.1 Le and that'd cost bout $400 to $450 street price.

But also, I dont understand why no one mentioned that PRO-TOOLS hands down runs better on a MAC, not knocking your PC, but unequivacly it does ((I know, I have PC & MAC))

but if that's your thing, I dont knock you homie, do it, and do it well. Just keep in mind you said

"Pro-Tools is something I need to learn in the future anyway"

and majority of the time PRO-TOOLS will be run on a MAC
(just honest criticism)

P.S. if your looking for one I'm selling a G3/450/192MB/CD drive
for $300, with PEAK 3.0

Back