?? for fireport users

killmachine

Alright I've got a HD24 and really want to exploit it so I'm getting the fireport. I want to make sure I have everything I need so I know you need the firewire to connect fireport to comp.

DO i also need the adat cable to connect HD to fireport? and what cable do you recommend

It is my understanding that you only need the HD, fireport, the software and a firewire cable to connect to a comp. No adat required.

You just need an inexpensive IDE Firewire card to plug into. I also have the HD24 and Fireport makes it way faster then transfers via FTP. I record on the HD amd mix in the box on Samplitude. The Fireport transfer makes moving files a breeze, transfering entire projects to the PC in just a few minutes.

You don't even actually need the HD24 unit, just the removeable hard drives. The caddies come with 4 'feet' that you attach to the drive. Then you only need to connect the Fireports hard drive connector - it looks like the standard IDE 80 pin connector.

It works great for me as I record live gigs, then just take the drive to my PC for transfer. You're gonna love it.

I love my fireport, but I can't believe Alesis didn't think to put a firewire connector on the back of the unit itself so you could just leave it hardwired to your PC. Of course now that I shelled out the $2k for the HD24XR, they're sure to come up with the VII version with exactly that feature :confused:

Nate74 said:
I love my fireport, but I can't believe Alesis didn't think to put a firewire connector on the back of the unit itself so you could just leave it hardwired to your PC. Of course now that I shelled out the $2k for the HD24XR, they're sure to come up with the VII version with exactly that feature :confused:

I wouldn't look for any further development of the HD24 from Alesis as they'd rather market "Mr. Microphone" products these days. When they canceled the development of the full-featured remote, The Director, after promising it for years, they sent a pretty clear message as to what kind of development users can expect in the future.

Cheers,
--
Don

Yeah you know whats funny, I had to call for some tech support. And there's firmware updates for the HD24. There's also no information about any resets in the manual so I didn't find out untill I called support

twostone said:
When I got my fireport the cable they send was bad I would just invest in a higher quality firewire cable.

I discoverd the same thing quite by accident. The original cable required a lot of jiggling, then I loaned it to a friend who promptly lost it (a-hole that he is sometimes) so I took home a good one from work and it's run fine ever since...

idylldon - you're not the first person I've heard this from, which would be too bad. Alesis has contributed a lot to home recorders through the years...at least to this home recorder.

Back