Foo Fighters Monkey Wrench COVER mixes

Not trying to be a prick, but there are other things that I would recommend fixing before I worried about the mix. You have some tuning and big timing issues. It's hard (to me at least) to provide mix feedback when the performance isn't there. The timing and tuning issues are a big distractor to me.
Some things that I could pick out: The crash cybals are ok, but it sounds like your mic(s) were right on top of the ride. Sounds REAL close to the mic. There's some weird thing going on with the snare. Like a room mic panned hard left that is really picking up the snare. But maybe you meant to do that. It's just weird to me. I'm wanting to hear more "in your face" snare. More close mic. The vocal reverb is too much for me too. It sounds like one guitar is panned center and another is panned left. So it seems unbalanced.

I truely believe a great performance recorded less than perfectly is always better than a perfect recording performed badly. The better the performance, the easier it seems to mix.

Wow, Monkey Wrench. This brings me back to the University days.

I think this recording shows potential, but the band needs to be locked in with the drums, and the drums need to be in-your-face rocking. Keep at it.

Yeah, out of tune, out of time, bad playing all around. Sounds like a fun drunken jam on one of the better foo fighters songs, but the mix and performance are so far from home that it's not even worth messing with.

I figured that putting a disclaimer aboutthe poor performance first would avoid what just happened but I guess not. Oh well. Thanks for the input guys.

The snare and kick need to come out more, i guess. The song being out of time is too distracting, sorry. I think you'll learn more if you try working on songs that are at least in time. But the guitar sounded good :)

I figured that putting a disclaimer aboutthe poor performance first would avoid what just happened but I guess not. Oh well. Thanks for the input guys.

I think the reason for this is because when mixing a poor performance, you are really just trying to mask mistakes instead of trying to actually mix the song. Whether you mean to or not, you might be adding more reverb to hide the sloppiness, and once you start doing that, then all mixing critiques are pretty much pointless.

Right. And it's really hard to put forth the effort to really critique a mix when the band can't even be assed to perform the song well.

Aside from the timing as everyone is harping on you for...:)

I don't mind the rest of the mix - except for how the vocals sit in it. If you are going to give a song some garage-punk element to it you shouldn't throw a bunch of reverb on the vocals IMO. That is just a preference thing probably. I like the raw sound, but when the vocals are crisp and drenched in reverb they sound like they are on a different planet to me. Somehow get them to sit in the song better and it would go a long way for me.

Back