Folling a bit with a mixer

ykarkason

Hi,
I bought a long time ago a one input interface, but until now it satisfied my,
so I am on a tight budjet so I am going to buy a mixer,
And I thought to buy a behringer xenyx 502 and to fool my interface, by taking the phones out of the mixer (stereo), and recording two instruments at a time, and then to pan them hard right and hard left,
and then on the DAW I would sepreate them into 2 tracks instead of 1 mono,
Is it possible? Should I do?

Any way, I will use the mixer in the normal way of combining a number of instruments to and taking one mono(or stereo) out .

Another thing is,
I thought to use the mixer to record my band,
and I will record a beatles song, and I thought of recording it as the beatles did,
recording onto one track the basic track, and then overdubing the vocals and lead guitar.

Thanks ahead!

Last edited:
....a one input interface

...two instruments at a time
Is it possible?

Ahhhh....I think you've already answered your own question. :)

For simultaneous recording of individual elements to their own, individual tracks...you need one input per element/track....there's no way around that. :(

Ahhhh....I think you've already answered your own question. :)

For simultaneous recording of individual elements to their own, individual tracks...you need one input per element/track....there's no way around that. :(

Are you sure?
I think I can connect two instruments into different channels of the mixer - lets say channel 1 and channel 2,
then to pan them hard left and hard right,
I know that my software(adobe audition 3) has an option to take the interface input Left and its Right into spearate mono tracks(or into one stereo track).
so i guss that it will allow me to achieve one more track into the interface.

once again, I will use it as a mixer is normally used.

I didn't explained it well,
I have one stereo PL that gets either mono or stereo,
I use it just mono beacuse I can't put stereo from two differnt cables,
so I thought that if I'll have the mixer it will be possible,
then I came here to ask you.

thanks!

I have one stereo PL that gets either mono or stereo, I use it just mono beacuse I can't put stereo from two differnt cables,
so I thought that if I'll have the mixer it will be possible,
then I came here to ask you.
If you have only one input jack, it is either a mono or a stereo jack.

If it is a mono jack, you're up the creek whether you have a mixer or not; you need a two-channel interface, not a mixer.

If it is a stereo jack, then all you need is a dual-mono to stereo "Y" cable with no mixer required.

G.

Right...if it is a stereo input....then do what..... ^^^^he^^^^ said .....no mixer needed.

You may end up with a "stereo" track still...but it will be more like "linked mono" tracks...and then you just "unlink" them in your DAW application.
There very well could be an option in the app to record them seperately from the gitgo, so that you don't need to "unlink" them after that fact...depends on the app.

Back