Folk three piece.. beautiful tune. Could use some other ears.. :P

austinm08

the pigeon knows the way.
Studio Video of "Farewell", a folky song.

(newest/final mix)

---------------------------

NEW EDIT:

For anyone interested, here's a video of the recording/performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTCF5KvYPaY

PREVIOUS EDIT:

You know, he was playing the snare with his fingers. Just lightly tapping. Does that surprise anyone? haha.

And if you guys want to listen to the other song I recorded of them for the amusement, here it is.

To be noted: All the vocals were with ONE take.. ONE mic..

:)

ORIGINAL POST:

I'm finding that I'm having trouble being able to control the low end with solely my RP8s...

I have to listen through the surround system (with sub) and/or in my car to be able to tell if my low end is out of control or not...

Argh. I want to be able to accurately hear the low end with just my monitors. It's probably the room eh..? Even though I'm in the corner, I'm ending up with the kick too hot 'n boomy, and there was some low end out of control in the acoustic, too.. but I had no idea (especially with sub-kick) until I listened elsewhere or with a sub.

Last edited:
Things sounded nice and the low end was perfect to me, but then again I currently have crappy monitors. Nothing sounded out-of control at all using my headphones.

I think kcearl mentioned that he uses RP8's? Try messaging him, he may be able to give is a listen.

Thanks for the reply, man! Yeah, this is "post low-end outta control"... I fixed it for this verison. But prior to this mix, there was much more boominess in the guitar and the kick was way too loud and boomy.

Thanks a lot, dude.

Yeah, I think he does. Saw a pic of his setup earlier.

I like the song a lot and that is a great singer (is that you?). The song is great the way it is, but I feel like the vocals are just a little loud. Don't get me wrong I'm no expert, but I feel like if the vocals came down a hair it would be there. I also feel like if you cut just a little EQ out of the bass to let the kick drum come through it would help. I'm still learning myself though so good luck.

Great song dude!

Trump

No, that is not me. It's actually a funny story how I met the singer, though. One of his friends is a fellow classmate of mine, and she introduced me to him because she thinks we look very similar. So yeah we do look similar, and our voices are also very similar. We even have almost an identical whistle.. but I noticed he can go a little lower in the whistle "voice" he used in this song. I think he's my long lost twin (although I already have a real twin... haha).

You may not be an expert but I think you're right. I'm no expert, either.

I, myself, was also thinking that the vocals are all a bit too loud. I may bring them down some more.

Good idea with the kick as well. I've already dropped a lot of low-end from the guitar. I'd probably just bring up the kick's level if I feel that I want more of it. I had a mic in the sound hole of the kick taking care of the higher end of the kick and then a subkick to get the low lows.

I appreciate you listening and responding. Thanks!

link no workee :o

Sorry. Link is fixed.

I goofed up and this is a 192 kbps MP3 (instead of 320). oops.

The latest version is still uploading, along with 24-bit, 48 kHz WAVs, so it's going to take a while on this connection... heh

Sorry. Link is fixed.

I goofed up and this is a 192 kbps MP3 (instead of 320). oops.

The latest version is still uploading, along with 24-bit, 48 kHz WAVs, so it's going to take a while on this connection... heh

no worries ive got to go out but Ill give it a listen when I get back

tbh im having some LF issues with my KRKs but I did with my last monitors as well...I wont describe my space but needless to say..its shite :)

I mean acoustically challenged :D

no worries ive got to go out but Ill give it a listen when I get back

tbh im having some LF issues with my KRKs but I did with my last monitors as well...I wont describe my space but needless to say..its shite :)

I mean acoustically challenged :D

Hah. Same here, man.

O.k I've post too quickly. The drum that kicks around 3 minutes need some work. Too much bass, either lower the volume or remove some low end.

Good stuff

/Jack

Hi

Great song, nice playing, mix and excellent vocals.

Great work, i've enjoyed.

/Jack

This is a later mix, do you think the problem with the kick is solved here? Or still too much low end?

Thanks for listening!

Lovely voice, reminds me of Simon and Garfunkel....
Nice harmonies. How did you record the acoustic? It sounds great, I don't hear any low-end issues. Mix sounds very good to me, the subtle snare seems to fit in very well. 90% of a good mix is a great performance and this is one, nice work!:)

Lyrics

Nice lyrics and very tasteful in general. Listening on phones it sounds perfect. I've had the same problem with too much bass with acoustic instruments. Folk and bluegrass are my bag. Cut my teeth on the Kingston Trio. The length of your song would be fine for clubs. You might want to shorten it, just a little!, for a CD copulation.
Great work!!
Mike

Lovely voice, reminds me of Simon and Garfunkel....
Nice harmonies. How did you record the acoustic? It sounds great, I don't hear any low-end issues. Mix sounds very good to me, the subtle snare seems to fit in very well. 90% of a good mix is a great performance and this is one, nice work!:)
I recorded the acoustic with an AKG C 414 at about the 14th fret, angled slightly toward the sound hole, and a 57 between the bridge and sound hole (closer to sound hole). Originally I had two 414s setup to use the mid-side technique, but we wanted some more low end in the acoustic, so I thought I could use a 57 and the proximity effect to get a bit more warmth there.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I ran both mics into a Focusrite ISA428, then through the Digi192 converters.
Vocals were recorded with a Blue Baby Bottle condenser through a Manley Voxbox.

No, I don't own this gear.. I wish I did, though! It's at my school's studio.

It was definitely a great performance!

Thanks for the input!

Nice lyrics and very tasteful in general. Listening on phones it sounds perfect. I've had the same problem with too much bass with acoustic instruments. Folk and bluegrass are my bag. Cut my teeth on the Kingston Trio. The length of your song would be fine for clubs. You might want to shorten it, just a little!, for a CD copulation.
Great work!!
Mike

Awesome. I'll have to pass on what you said to the band.

Thanks for listening!

Last edited:
You know, he was playing the snare with his fingers. Just lightly tapping. Does that surprise anyone? haha.

And if you guys want to listen to the other song I recorded of them for the amusement, here it is.

To be noted: All the vocals were with ONE take.. ONE mic..

:)

Yeah, it's a little hard to hear the sub kick on my RP8s. When I flip to my secondary monitors (with 12" woofers) the sub kick becomes a little too much, just a tad though. Other than that, the mix sounds pretty good.

Ah, yeah. So you know what I mean. I guess there must be some <45hz freqs going on in that subkick. I hi-passed it somewhere in there but the slope wasn't really steep.

Thanks, man!

Back