Focusrite Twintrak Pro Problems.

demensia

www.lukemacneil.com
I posted some of this before, but in the wrong forum. It should have gone here, I apologize.

I bought a Twintrack to upgrade from my bluetube stuff... and when setting it up I noticed that the balanced outputs were only XLR. There are also TS outputs. I record into my computer with a delta 44 which has 4 TRS inputs.. I can set the operating level in the audio driver to +4 or -10... Since the +4 outputs from my pre are XLR, for now I have to record at -10.

It seems like I have to JACK the preamp level in order to get a loud enough signal to record... Which makes me think either the preamp blows, or I have it hooked up wrong (most likely the latter)

I'm also using it as a monitoring device... I send the outputs from my soundcard into it, and from there I send the signal to the monitors and to my headphone amp... Its noisy as hell.

When playing back an audio file, I have the volume all the way up on the Twintrack, in the m-audio mixer, in audition, and on my monitors (KRK Rokits).. With everything jacked I get a reasonable volume.. Whats the problem here.. is it all because I'm operating at -10 instead of +4.. Does anyone else experience this problem, is the Twintrak defective?

I was actually thinking of taking it back... I like the compressor alot... its simple and it does exactly what I want it to do in tracking, but I don't feel comfortable with my input level all the way up.

As a side note I've also used the various Z settings on the Twintrak.. it makes a difference, but not a huge change in amplitude.

I paid about $600 for it new... My recording quality was just as good with my $200 presonus blue tube... And in general, I feel like my daw was operating better.

Could someone please tell me if this is normal, if I've done something wrong, or if they think the twintrak is defective.

Thanks.

Back