Focusrite saffire 24

bstarstudios

Useless Thoughts
Basicaly selling my firepod to a good friend to buy a saffire 24 (with cash to spare because i wanted those focusrite pres)

this is a question i should know the answer to but need to be sure.

Basically the saffire 24 has 2 preamps (inputs 1 and 2) on the front. Inputs 3 and 4 (located on the rear) are 1/4" trs cables.

Basically i will be four micing drum kits (since i like the sound an thatd what my mic situation allows).

will plugging a dynamic mic (via xlr-14") into the 1/4" trs input i will not need a di box or other signal coverter correct, it should be balanced?

thanks

The pres on the front should be fine but you will need to amplify the signals for the 3 and 4 ins. Also, you'll need 48v if your mics require phantom power.

You'll need a couple of preamps to plug into the 1/4" on the back. There's really no way around that. Just plugging the mics in won't get you enough volume.

Lots of people like the DMP3 for two channels of cheap preamps. They should be pretty comparable to the Saffire pres. I have a Saffire Pro 40, same pres, and I think the DMP3 would be just as good and get you the two extra preamps to run 4 mics.

You'll need a couple of preamps to plug into the 1/4" on the back. There's really no way around that. Just plugging the mics in won't get you enough volume.

i thought i may need preamps, i was going to stretch for the dmp3. how do you like the focusrite 40 pres? switching from a firepod to the saffire 24.

I like them. They have a little bit of a harsh bump in the midrange. It can be EQed out, or it can work with a lot of sources, or you may like that bump better than I do. I use mostly external preamps, so I rarely use the ones on the Saffire. But they are good, I'd say they are better than most budget pres, and if I remember the DMP3 well, at least as good as the DMP3 pres. They will not be the limiting factor in your recordings.

Back