Focusrite 2i2 & iMac Latency problem

Rodd1000

Hi guys, purchased a 2i2 over the weekend but not impressed with the latency on my 2ghz core 2 duo iMac running 3gb ram. Bought it to replace my ageing Line 6 Guitarport with the view to recording acoustic guitar after reading about the excellent mic per amps. I monitor using the "direct monitor" switched on with headphones. This is supposed to give the best results and lowest latency. However as I play it sounds like I have a delay pedal in the signal chain (I don't).

Set up is sm57 straight in to input 1 line level. 2i2 USB plugged straight in to back of iMac, no hubs. Wifi turned off. Only other thing connect is a 1tb usb external hdd.

Really at a loss what to do, think I'm going to return it back to the shop. Ive emailed Focusrite but had no reply except an automated response.

It's a shame because the audio quality is so amazing. Id love to keep it, but I didn't have this problem with my 10 year old Guitarport. :/

Any advice much appreciated.

Anyone?

What's even more strange is i only notice the latency when using a mic (line) for vocal or acoustic. It doesn't appear noticeable with electical guitar or bass (inst) with modelling amps.

Did you verify that you are using the ASIO drivers?
Did you adjust the ASIO settings? (that's what adjusts latency)

This delay effect is due to you monitoring the direct input signal and then the delayed recording signal. To get rid of this effect while recording and using the direct monitor function, you will need to mute the track you are recording into in Garageband. This way you will only be listening to the direct input signal.
If you have any further questions please contact us via our support pages on the main Focusrite website.

Elliot // Focusrite Technical Support

Back