Foambymail.com

Randy5235

was looking at their 2" wall tiles 85 for 48 1' x 1' tiles and free shipping. my only concerns about this product is how does it stand up against similar products such as auralex (is it even considered as similar product) and the flame retardant rating i ofund was FMVSS-302 i have no idea what that means. In you opinion would this be money spent well? I do have some high frequency issues in my room (all concrete 54x23x14) already built 2 bass tubes for the corners and I plan to build a couple of ethan low end panels as soon as I can find some rigid fiberglass but either way i will still need some thing for the high end and to hopefully eliminate some the standing ways and flutter in the high end. I believe( correct me please) that these would help.

no one has tried these guys? i compared the NRC rating and they are about the same as the auralex a tad better in the low end and very high end. What i am really concerned with is the fire retardancy class fmvss 302 is safe for use in an automobile ???/ WTF does that mean? is that decent or crap any ideas?

Last edited:
Ive used Foam By Mail, but didn't pay attention to the flammability of it. Mainly because my studio is a private, referral only kind and don't need to meet anything but residential fire code. FMVSS-302 is a common flammability standard for automoibile interiors I think. Its used for alot of acoustical products and have self extinguishing properties I might be able to do a flammability test for you since I have some scraps laying around. Im pretty sure the foambymail stuff is class b. The Whisper room is tested against the FMSVSS-302 Flammability standards. Auralex is Class B as well. Im not sure who is the real manufacturer of all these foams but USA foam seems to distribute foam products to tons of other companies like Auralex. I think Sonex is the only company that offers a Class A, but its nearly twice as much as regular Sonex, Auralex and other foams.

SoMm

Rigid fiberglass will suck up HF without any problems. It is a better and cheaper solution than auralex by far... well except that it is fiberglass, you will have to cover your glass.

I used linen.

Gunther,

> Rigid fiberglass will suck up HF without any problems. It is a better and cheaper solution than auralex by far <

Yes, and not only is fiberglass not flammable, it is even fire retardent and will actually slow the spread of fire and heat.

--Ethan

Exactly Ethan

My fiberglass is designed to be used at temps of 900 deg. It does get pretty hot in my studio... but I think my pannels will stand up to the heat ok :)

i do plan on getting some 703 and making some of your panels ethan but I cannot I repeat cannot find any here in dallas unless i want to order the minimum shipment which is more than i have to spend at this point. i do plan on making a bunch of your panels however :) but i feel that with my room I could still use the foam as well.

Foambymail stuff is Class B, same as Auralex. I have 2 boxes of 2" and 1 box of 3" coming so I'll let ya'll know how it looks.

Gunther said:
it is fiberglass, you will have to cover your glass.

I used linen.

Having used floopy fibreglass (the stuff on rolls for loft insulation), I know how much fibre it can shed into the air -- will covering it over with linen actually keep the dust back? It's very fine, and not particularly healthy. Would you need more than one layer of linen?

And on the fire retardant thing: Linen burns well, yes? Does anyone worry about the fire-retarding thing when it comes to e.g. covering entire walls with fabric (to cover over framing and fibreglass etc)?

Mike.

I did a flame test on the foambymail stuff. Yup, its self extinguishing. Its interesting, the foam wouldn't ignite from just heat, it had to come in contact with the flame. I should have tested some packing foam. I have some really old auralex I should have tested to see if age effects the flammability.

I think most fabrics you buy will be flammable to some extent, but I think 3m makes a spray on treatment and I have no idea of cost. Has anyone researched this before for safety of mind?

SoMm

supposedly spray on treatments will eat away at the foam. my foambymail stuff came today... you wouldn't believe how small the boxes were that the stuff came in... then you open it up, and it blows up to 10 times the box's size...

looks like pretty good stuff... the price is certainly right.

How much and what type did you get Realfast? I just got some samples from them. The prices are very good compared to Auralex.

Dan

RealFastV6 said:
small the boxes were that the stuff came in... then you open it up, and it blows up to 10 times the box's size...

Ya hafta be careful with where you open the boxes. When I got 200sqft of auralex in my last studio it came in boxes on a big truck. So when I got the foambymail stuff I thought I had bee ripped off. Until I popped open the plastic..doh! I got 196 sqft of the 1 inch wedge to in purple to compliment my left over gray auralex egg nest. Looks really good. My auralex was 4 inch, It was a little too dead for my control room.

SoMm

Shockwave said:
How much and what type did you get Realfast? I just got some samples from them. The prices are very good compared to Auralex.

I got (2) 48packs of 2" Wedge Charcoal, and (1) 48pack of 3" Wedge Burgundy.

Pics later... I've got a few hours of glueing to do...

mjbee said:
Having used floopy fibreglass (the stuff on rolls for loft insulation), I know how much fibre it can shed into the air -- will covering it over with linen actually keep the dust back? It's very fine, and not particularly healthy. Would you need more than one layer of linen?

And on the fire retardant thing: Linen burns well, yes? Does anyone worry about the fire-retarding thing when it comes to e.g. covering entire walls with fabric (to cover over framing and fibreglass etc)?

Mike.

Rigid fiberglass is bound by some glue or resin; it is not the same as normal r-13. The linen is enough to keep it contained (I hope), but I’m not about to hit it or do anything to disturb it.

As far as flame proofing, I think you can buy a spray or something for the linen. I did not do that step yet, but will probably do so in the future.

I only have 2 4X4 pannels though, so I am not too worried....

Back