Foam mattress or mattress cover

Javo

Hello, today I was in Wal-Mart and was looking at some way to reduce the background noise at my homestudio. I was looking at egg-shaped foam mattresses that come in different sizes, twin, full, queen, etc. And i saw too some padded mattress covers that are cheaper and looks like could be used to make a cheapo vocal booth, by doing a wooden or pvc frame first. Any one has tried that yet? I was looking locally for moving blankets but have not find any supplier. Can the padded mattress covers replace the moving blankets for isolating sound?
If anyone knows of web-links to some cheap sound-isolating techniques let me know. I can't afford to buy Auralex, Sonex, or any other specialized sound isolation techniques.

Also, I have a big window with mesh screens, and was thinking of changing the mesh screens to plastic (as for air conditioner) would doing that help me reduce the outer noise?

If by isolation you mean keeping unwanted sounds out the foam/mattress covers are pretty much useless. They would have a minimal effect on reflected sound at high freqs.

Fiberglass is the best bang for the buck. You just have to cover it with something that will contain the fibers but allow the sound to pass through.

What I mean by isolation is keeping the noises out of my room (ie. crickets, television, etc.) or do I need to do a vocal booth inside my room for isolation?

I have heard of Sheetrock as a cheap material for sound isolation, but i don't know what is it? can anyone explain me, is it something like gypsum board?

If you know about Auralex then you've probably read the section of their site about acoustics. That's some good info on there. The bottom line is in order to have isolation you need to have dense materials between the sound sources that are air-tight & de-coupled from one another. The more isolation you need the more involved the construction and the more it'll cost ya.

I too wish there was an easy, cheap solution. So far I haven't found one. If I do I'll let you know.

Back