Flute and breath noise

Rudy2

Howdy all,

I have been experimenting with recording my silver flute using a Nady SP-1 mic and a Fostex MR-8 dig recorder. What I find is that the SP-1 is extremely detailed and picks up my breath noise as well as any other noise I may make when I swallow or smack my lips. The extra noises really sound awful but I guess it is a great way to improve performance technique. :(

Anyway, if I move away from the mic I loose much needed volume for the recording because even with the gain maxed it still is not super loud.

So what do I do? First thought is to buy a mic pre so I have more gain and can move away from the mic a couple of feet. Is that the best answer or is there something else I can do?

Rudy2

Unless you want that breathy / overblown type rock flute sound, you are going to HAVE to get some distance from you to the mic.

I have recorded quite a bit of flute from overhead (but more towards the tail of the flute) about 18 inches away. For a softer sound, you can mic from beneath about 12 inches down and facing the mic NOT at your lips.

If you want to hear some flute I recorded go here:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1955&alid=-1

listen to the first song Threadneedle street. It is a short blurb of 3 different songs mashed together. I believe the last sectin is a quasi classical sound.

Hope that helps some.

Tom

Thanks for the tips tmix. I will experiment and see if I can get a decent recording level without the breath sounds.

I listened to the Celtic demo you made and it sounds very good! Super clean and well balanced. The players are very talented too. Very tight playing and excellent intonation.

Rudy2

Rudy2,
I probably should not tell on myself, but the intonation became so bad over the length of the slower song (flute going flat as it got hot) and the violin gong sharp that I took a chance and ran each instrument through autotune.
It was one of those rare instances that worked wonderfully and saved an otherwise good performance.

Have fun! (thats the main thing)

Tom

Heh heh. ;)

I know all too well about flutes going flat and also find that many good violinists are inclined to play sharp to help hear themselves and to cut through the mix. Thanks for divulging your secret. It is a constant tug of war in any ensemble I have ever played with.

Rudy2

Back