Flusterclux -

queepy

aka Variaxman
A little blues kinda thing maybe? Flusterclux seema a apt title for my latest sonic goop
,....a lot goin on and my ears are a bit tired after tracking guitars today so wondering how its sounding so far...
Streaming link:
MP3 Player SoundClick

Hey queepy, I have listened to a number of your posts and generally like what you do, not so much this time. It is not that it is bad, it just sounded like a broken record to me. May I assume this is a work in progress and that you are going to add vocals and maybe some counter melodies and whatnot to the mix? It sounded to me like the rhythm section (drums, bass, rhythm guitar) had some extensive cut and paste going on.

I really hate to sound so negative because I really do like your other works.

I couldn't tell if the drums were a sample or live drummer. You may have been going for that choppy, back and fourth sound though as it seemed to actually compliment the song... but as a drummer, I would have liked the drums to be a bit beefier. The drum track sounded like a loop in the background.

My only complaint would be the drums being a bit to choppy and sampler sounding... but once again you may have been going for that sound.

I should say that I did like the song and the guitars sounded really good. How did you record them? DI? If so, with what DI box? I thought they had great tone.

Hey queepy, I have listened to a number of your posts and generally like what you do, not so much this time. It is not that it is bad, it just sounded like a broken record to me. May I assume this is a work in progress and that you are going to add vocals and maybe some counter melodies and whatnot to the mix? It sounded to me like the rhythm section (drums, bass, rhythm guitar) had some extensive cut and paste going on.

I really hate to sound so negative because I really do like your other works.

1ST of all thanks for the feedback...honest is always the best and helps one improve .....I sometimes get over anxious to share stuff before its fully reliezed or developed....in this case , I havent totally decided wether to have vocals on this(leaning that way) or have it as is....tried to use drum loops in a diffrent time signature to push me a little outta my comfort zone(5/4)...no cut or paste at all...arranged the drums the way I wanted then did the bass, 2 cleaner guitar rthy, the heavier guitar in the middle rthy, the heavier lead, and the kinda clean lead in that order....it is melodicly challenged right now, but I linda like the off kilter rhythm thing goin on...lotsa work ahead on this, I truly appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment..thanks!!

I couldn't tell if the drums were a sample or live drummer. You may have been going for that choppy, back and fourth sound though as it seemed to actually compliment the song... but as a drummer, I would have liked the drums to be a bit beefier. The drum track sounded like a loop in the background.

My only complaint would be the drums being a bit to choppy and sampler sounding... but once again you may have been going for that sound.

I should say that I did like the song and the guitars sounded really good. How did you record them? DI? If so, with what DI box? I thought they had great tone.

Thanks for listening...yeah, they are loops by betamonkee..."Odd Time Meltdown" collection, wanted to push myself a bit and do something that was not straight 4/4.....I also want a beefier sound for the drums and will address that. I think the cleanish guitar leads in the beginning and end dont really jibe to well with the groove and kinda detract the listener? Getting rid of it I think. All guitars are thru a PODHD500 directly to my pc, I used a Fender Strat + deluxe with lace sensor pickups.Bass also done thru Podhd500, rik 4001.
Thanks for the feedback, appreciated!

I like all of the guitar tones. Not too bad for not miking anything. The bass and drums are pretty thin though. It has very little low end across the mix. I can see why this would make your ears tired. It's very midrangey. I'm not crazy about that wooshy sound in the left channel. It's a neat idea though. I prefer straight 4/4 stuff and this is a little too trippy for me, but I know you can write some crazy lyrics and I think with vocals it would be better.

I like all of the guitar tones. Not too bad for not miking anything. The bass and drums are pretty thin though. It has very little low end across the mix. I can see why this would make your ears tired. It's very midrangey. I'm not crazy about that wooshy sound in the left channel. It's a neat idea though. I prefer straight 4/4 stuff and this is a little too trippy for me, but I know you can write some crazy lyrics and I think with vocals it would be better.

Yeah it was pretty middy eh? I found the cleanish lead guitar a bit distracting and not really fitting so I have removed it.....think Im going to have some kind of "vocal " in it's place....I also attempted to fill out the overall mix in the low end...here is my newest mix.....its a little bare bones right now, but wondering if the overall bass and drums sound a little meatier....
link:
MP3 Player SoundClick

Yeah it was pretty middy eh? I found the cleanish lead guitar a bit distracting and not really fitting so I have removed it.....think Im going to have some kind of "vocal " in it's place....I also attempted to fill out the overall mix in the low end...here is my newest mix.....its a little bare bones right now, but wondering if the overall bass and drums sound a little meatier....
link:
MP3 Player SoundClick

This remixed version sounds much better to me. You seemed to have cleaned up the rhythm section and given it more presence than it had before and eliminated that broken record effect that I was hearing (or maybe that was too many drugs in the 60s). I think that over all it is much improved.

I like the loping time signature...that "A" part pleasantly reminded me of an off-kilter Girls On Film...which is just fine by me. I also was not a huge fan of the vacuum cleaner noise, but it wasn't a total deal breaker. I think some lyrics would definitely add some character, but I can see it being tough to write a natural sounding vocal to this. As usual, you've got some really interesting ideas working here.

I like the jagged & slightly disjointed rhythm. Sounds like a good bed for some shouty or misanthropic lyrics.

Wow! That was weird! I liked it. 7/4, definitely interesting. I don't know if you re-mixed it after the initial comments, but I think it sounds really cool. Reminds me of Blood Sugar Sex Magic on acid AND steroids.

I dug it a lot. :cool:

I hate commenting after Greg. He usually nails the mix aspect cold ... leaving me with pointing at him. :)

Content-wise? It is a bit linear as is and requires more texture. Vocals would add another layer of interest.

Good start, bud ... just needs a bit more.

Back