FLSTUDIO mixing

traw

What exactly are you guys using to Mix. I have tried mixing straight out of FL Studio and I am having problems with my kicks,and synth basses clashing all over the place. People tell me to cut frequencies and all but I do not know how in there. Then someone told me my problem is mixing in FL Studio and to use another program strictly for mixing. What programs do ya'll use for this i.e. Cubase/Nuendo,Acid??? And what plugins,tools, or any other info can anyone give to help guide me? Thanks.

FL sucks as a multitrack mixing platform.

I export every sound as an individual wav file, and import into Adobe Audition for mixing.

I use fruityloops exclusivly for mixing. I record my vocals in Sonar and export it all to fruityloops so that i can have better control over mixing my vocals with the beat. The best advice that i can give you as far as equalizing goes is to sweep the freq's before changing anything to see what needs to be done.

Call Me Cell said:
I use fruityloops exclusivly for mixing. I record my vocals in Sonar and export it all to fruityloops so that i can have better control over mixing my vocals with the beat. The best advice that i can give you as far as equalizing goes is to sweep the freq's before changing anything to see what needs to be done.

That's an interesting technique! I never heard anyone say that they transfer vocals to FL for mixing......That proves that you don't know that something won't work until you've tried it!

i mix my beats in FL, just pan and adjust volumes til everything sounds good. if anything needs fixed later (when i mix my vocals in Audition), i'll just go back and fix the beat where i want it changed and render to .wav and substitute out the old beat for the new one in Audition.

that's just how I do it. i'm sure everyone has their own niche and thinks it works best.

bless.

I mix & make all my beats on a yamaha SY77 & just getting into MIDI. For mixing, I use Sonar 5 pro, and samplitude 8. but Nuendo 3 seems like a very powerful tool, should try that one too.

Something you should all remember, just because you "Can" doesn't mean you should.

I "can" smack the piss out of a police officer. Sometimes I want to... Doesn't mean it's smart to do it...

But on the real. FL Studio has a bad mixing platform. It's not intuitive, it's lacking real VST support for plugins like WAVES etc... Sure, you can mix in FL. But it's not the best way to do it.

Especially if you're exporting a stereo mixdown and then recording vocals over them. Your beats should be mixed with your vocals. That's one reason why a lot of you complain about not getting your vocals to sit correctly in the mix. You're approaching it wrong from the jump.

probs

I meant for just mixing beats from flstudio period. I seem to have a problem with my synth frequencies and my kicks.

yeah, if that's the case, i'd say grab the sample you are working with (drum, hat, synth, whatever) and mess w/ it in another editing program (audition or whatever you use) to get it to your liking.

i mix in FL studio all the time, i think it works great... use differnt plugs for your freq control (i prefer waves 10 band or SSL eq)... i only rarely mix outside of FL, and then ill take it to cubase, but thats only to add "live tracks" .. i do sometimes record and then import to FL...
poets, sorry but FL uses the DX version of WAVES plugs.. and they work fine, (which are bundled with the VST ones)

FL is also my fav for vsti's, with live and grid based programming

actiually i just finished a song tonite... sounds sweet

Last edited:
Change of POETS said:
FL sucks as a multitrack mixing platform.

I export every sound as an individual wav file, and import into Adobe Audition for mixing.

BULLSHIT! To each its own. FL Studio is GREAT for mixing bruh. I use it 80% of the time to record in... why? Its so much easier to make a beat in FL Studio (if you're used to using the program), record, mix, and then be done. The mixer in FL Studio is advanced beyond Adobe's. It has a good "chaining" system, which means you can chain together various tracks to conserve CPU. For years I was making beats in Fruity Loops then exporting my WAVs to Cool Edit (Audition) or Pro Tools. Those days are over. Now I can just do everything I need to do in FL Studio. Only time I dont use FL Studio to mix is when I go to bigger studios to record, or use other gear to do beats. Its worth learning, trust me.

Now... if this post helped you out, please be sure to listen to my music @ http://www.soundclick.com/raydio

traw said:
What exactly are you guys using to Mix. I have tried mixing straight out of FL Studio and I am having problems with my kicks,and synth basses clashing all over the place. People tell me to cut frequencies and all but I do not know how in there. Then someone told me my problem is mixing in FL Studio and to use another program strictly for mixing. What programs do ya'll use for this i.e. Cubase/Nuendo,Acid??? And what plugins,tools, or any other info can anyone give to help guide me? Thanks.

as you see there are a few ways to get the job done what it comes down to is what works for you my homie ....you'll figure it out keep doin your thing

Raydio said:
BULLSHIT! To each its own. FL Studio is GREAT for mixing bruh. I use it 80% of the time to record in... why? Its so much easier to make a beat in FL Studio (if you're used to using the program), record, mix, and then be done. The mixer in FL Studio is advanced beyond Adobe's. It has a good "chaining" system, which means you can chain together various tracks to conserve CPU. For years I was making beats in Fruity Loops then exporting my WAVs to Cool Edit (Audition) or Pro Tools. Those days are over. Now I can just do everything I need to do in FL Studio. Only time I dont use FL Studio to mix is when I go to bigger studios to record, or use other gear to do beats. Its worth learning, trust me.

Now... if this post helped you out, please be sure to listen to my music @ http://www.soundclick.com/raydio

Thanks for not paying attention to what I posted, and then delving into an unwarranted rant.

FL Studio sucks as a "multitrack mixing platform".

FL is not a multitrack recorder or mixing platform. It's a sequencer with an effects rack built in and some Direct X and minimal VST support.

Can you mix in FL Studio? Yeah, sure.

The real question is.. why would anyone want to? It's less intuitive, and takes more effort than ANY typical multitrack platform. It's not about CPU usage, you can easily create a bus or a chain in Adobe to do the same. I do it all the time.

If you want to learn FL, and utilize it.. fine, do you. I'd rather work in a more professional capacity and use each tool for what it's designed for. FL Studio is a sequencer/production tool for me, and nothing more.

Change ..whats good with you..how the tour go..and dont forget you tip article if you can find it..

I use Sonar 5 for my mixdowns. :cool:

I always export my tracks out of FL6

But.... to each; his own.......

Cause I know for a fact that RAYDIO makes some TIGHT tracks; and he administrates all of his musical facets in FLP. ;)

Help Needed Please

I have a serious question for you guys...PLEASE HELP!!! Ok I see that a few people export all audio files from fruity loops to a multi-track program for mixing right?? I on the other hand export all of my recorded audio files (vocals) from my multi-track program TO fruity loops for mixing. This is where my problem lies. I would like to record and mix everything in my tracking program, but I feel that I loose some flexibility because I have no control over individual sounds in the beat since I’m just recording over a stereo wav. File. I just want to know how you guys mix the beat with the vocals. LOL. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm kinda confused as to what you're getting at. What multi-track program you usin? All you gotta do is make the beat in FL first then put each sound on a different mixer channel. Then click the separate tracks button when you get ready to render your beat. After that, take the exported files and load them into your multi-track recorder. You can then record your vocals and be able to tweak each sound to get a proper beat/vocal mix. On the other hand, you may be talking about trying to make the beat and track vocals with the same program. If you wanna do that, only thing i can think of with "my" knowledge is to use rewire. Is your multi-track rewire compatible? If so just rewire FL(if you have the rewire version) into your multi-track as a slave. The two programs with be in sync and you can record vocals and make the beat at the same time.

Hey Raydio, thanks for acting like a 2 year old and giving me Neg Rep because you can't comprehend what I presented.

Your intellect matches the level of your "booty" music. Ignorance is bliss.

What up TONE/HR.com FAM,

Thanks for the reply. To make a long story short, I’ve come to the conclusion that producing my "records" the way I do (making the beat in fruity, recording vocals in sonar, exporting vocals to fruity) works best for me and my setup. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't ignoring any type of process. I’ve tried the rewire thing (doesn’t satisfy me); I’ve tried the exporting of individual sounds from fruity to my multi-track (doesn’t satisfy me either). So once again thanks for the insight but I’m going to stick to what I’ve been doing because it just works for me. Like I said before, I just wanted to explore all avenues to find the best way, and seeing that there are really only a few roads to take, I can honestly and confidently say that I’ve found my "street"! Thanks again Fam (all of ya'll), so now I’m at peace with myself and I can make beautiful music once again. I love ya'll...Peace and God Bless until next time...

Marcelle / Cell

Good to see your happy with your method! That's what it's all about. Whatever you need to do to make good music, do you. I think it's good that everyone has their own method. Keep them hits rollin Cell! :D

Back