Floyd to Stop Tail Conversion

My first guess is that these are designed to use the existing holes for a standard strat trem bridge. The floyd's posts are much bigger than strat bridge screws. It may make it difficult to get the bridge in the right position for intonation. Not impossible. Just something to think about. You may have to drill out the floyd's post holes and glue in a dowel and re-drill for the smaller screw. I'd probably just drill a couple extra holes in the bridge and mount it that way, but I'm a hillbilly.

What cefus said

The first one says 'standard strat' trem, and the second says 'vintage', which I'm assuming really means the same in this case. I always thought that vintage was really different than modern standard, but I'm not really a trem guy, so I can't really say. But they definitely did not mention Floyd Rose, so I would assume that this would not apply to them. But thanks for the heads up. I've wanted something like this for a long time, but after awhile I just quit looking.

Anyway, I wouldn't try this on a Floyd unless you know someone who has done it, or are just the adventurous type and don't really care if you screw it up (definitely not me).

Good luck, and if you try it, let us know if it works.

I have filled in tremolo cavities with bondo on crappy guitars so I could put in a hardtail.

Light will pass out when he reads this.

thanks for the replies

I was afraid that was going to be the answer.

I was hoping "vintage" meant floyd rose without actually using the trademark name. So frustrating because I have a guitar that I just adore, but I can't stand the FR trem. I just want a simple stop tail on it. When I saw these products, I was like, "wow, genius!!"

I've scoured the internet for other companies that might make such a beast to cover a FR trem hole, but to no avail. <<sigh>>

If you love the guitar, buy the thing and make it work. It's only $50 to try it out. It would be really easy to drill a couple holes in it and screw it down to the guitar. Just make sure that you get the midpoint of the saddle intonation travel about where you have the floyd's set. I am fairly brave at customizing, and am willing to live with the results. You may be more particular.

The floyds do suck, I think. My main guitar had one on it for years and it was a tremedous pain to change strings and the guitar sound like dookey since the trem block is like 1/4 thick.

At the nut end, you may have to change the string tree. I have a guitar with an unfloyded nut. I took off the retaining bar and put on 2 strat style string retainers to get the downpressure just right so that the strings didn't bind.

My unfloyded guitar

Wow, boo, that's very ugly.

And even worse, you belong to a T60 forum?! :eek:

I have a mint T-60 that I bought when I was 13. It was under my bed at my parents' house from about a week after I heard Eddie Van Halen the first time until a few months ago. It's really kind of a neat guitar, but I can't make it sound like anything. It plays really nice and has great sustain, but I can't get any good rhythm tones out of it with the band. It's too midrangey. The forum is nice because you can host pics and mp3s. They don't like me much because my first post was how much I hated the way the guitar sounded. I guess I have a tendency to rub people the wrong way, huh?

Now, the Jambolin is tits. It sounds fricking great and people react well to it at the gigs. Unfortunately, it has a ding in the 7th fret under the A string, so I either need to invest $$$ in my $30 guitar or go find a new neck somewhere. I'm probably just going to make a non-plywood version and buy an off-the-shelf warmouth neck or something.

As far as ugly, I started trying to dress it up a little, but then it just looked like I tried too hard. I like that it looks like jethro bodean's axe.

Boo, that's very cool. Consider Carvin when you look for a neck. They make a strat drop in, that you can order in 4 different fingerboard woods, 5 different headstocks, 4 or 5 different base woods, 5 different inlays, 4 or 5 different fretwires, and a couple of different radii.

The Peavey guitars were playable, but yeah, they never really had good tone.

Truly one thing I learned from that forum is that good tones are possible on the guitar. If you take a second to dial it in, you can get beautiful lead tones on it. Just not MY tones.

The one thing I really like about it tone-wise is the les-paul in between pickup sound that my strats can't get. On the peavey, if you have the tone controls and volumes set to 10 and put it in the middle, it sounds OK. The out of phase switch makes it sound terrible - inside out guitar. However, if you turn a knob or two, you start getting into all these really neat gray area tones. I play alot of rackabilly and you can get some good early brian setzer-esque tones which I'm crazy about.

Unfortunately, since I play in a trio, I have to do so much rhythm work that the peavey solo tones aren't useful to me because you can't slap the switch over or twist one knob to make the guitar fade into the background after the solo. with a strat (or the jambolin) I can get depth of dynamics just by changing my attack or turning down the volume 1/20 of a rotation.

The Peavey T-60 isn't a shit-piece. It's probably the best built and best playing guitar I have. It's far superior in construction to my fender strat. It certainly does have an image problem. If it was a piece of crap, I'd stick it back under the bed for another 20 years. Maybe it's sentimentality, but I really like the guitar and continue to try and find use for it.

The guy who designed it has a shop in texas and he does some really cool stuff to these guitars. Since they are so fricking heavy (mine weighs 11 pounds), he routs channels into the back of them and can take out like 4 or 5 pounds and then put a verneer over it. I figure if I do that, it'll get me discernibly turgid about my guitar again and start using it out. It has a certain white trash cache that goes well with the theme of my band.

Back