Floyd Rose Double Locking Tremolo

the dude

Quick question for anyone with experience with the Floyd Rose Double lokcing tremolo. I found a double fat strat that I am thinking of buying but have NO experience in dealing with the floyd rose locking system. Wondering if it is more of a pain in the ass than anything or if it really helps the guitar stay in tune. I am gonna get the guitar set up to be tuned a whole step down from standard and will only use the tremolo for effect, not really over use it. I am mainly worried about the guitar staying in tune and how much of a hasle it is to change strings and shit like that. Please help!!! thanks to all. the dude.

It will stay in tune better than other trems, and it is a giant hassle to change the strings and getting it in tune. As long as it is set up for the lower tuning (for which I presume you are going to use heavier strings, right?) it should be fine. But it is a pain to deal with them.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

light, yeah it will have at least 11's on it and it IS set up for the lower tuning, dealing with string changes isnt a big hassle as long as the fucker stays in tune for me. thats my main concern. thanks.

the dude said:
Quick question for anyone with experience with the Floyd Rose Double lokcing tremolo. I found a double fat strat that I am thinking of buying but have NO experience in dealing with the floyd rose locking system. Wondering if it is more of a pain in the ass than anything or if it really helps the guitar stay in tune. I am gonna get the guitar set up to be tuned a whole step down from standard and will only use the tremolo for effect, not really over use it. I am mainly worried about the guitar staying in tune and how much of a hasle it is to change strings and shit like that. Please help!!! thanks to all. the dude.

I had this system as well as a Kahler. I sold both because the tone of the Strat really suffered. I really don't like the sound of either of these systems. They lose all of the tone of the Strat. As long as you know this, these systems DO stay in tune when set up properly. I just went to the original USA 2-part whammy system for the Strat tone. I have my tricks to keep 'em in tune.

Never had a Floyd on an actual Fender Strat, but I've used them on all my guitars since I started playing in the 80's (when of course, you had to have them to be cool...). I love Floyds. Once you learn how to set them up and change strings, etc, they work very well. They hold tune very well and much better than a vintage trem even with locking tuners, IMO. Just make sure you give yourself a little time to learn how to set things up and you should be fine. As for tone, I've never noticed any ill effects on any of my guitars. Good luck.

The first guitar I bought with a Floyd Rose Double lokcing tremolo frustrated me to death. Shortly after I bought it I put it down and went back to my Les Paul. One day a friend of mine who also played guitar ask why I did not play my new Ibanez. I stated that I changed strings and everything just went hay wire. He sat down with me and showed me how to stretch everything out and get the strings situated before locking them in. I was sold from then on. Staying in tune more consistantly is a blessing when recording. You have to tweak it a bit especially when you change strings but after that it is very small adjustments.

Just my .02,

vp

I've been using a Floyd on my main guitar for about 14 years. Changing the strings takes about twenty minutes, not a big deal. Getting it properly setup and learning its quirks is the biggest obstacle. For instance, replace one string at a time and get it stretched and tuned before replacing the next string. Some of the strings on my guitar go flat and some go sharp, when locking down the nut. I don't know if this is common with Floyds, but it stays constant on my guitar, so I compensate when I tune up, before locking down the nut. The biggest improvement I've found was adding a Tremsetter. It adds stability to the bridge, I can tune one string a quarter step without effecting the other strings tuning. The added ridgidity also helps alittle with tone and sustain and you can rest your hand on the bridge without effecting the pitch. Just like a trem system , a tremsetter needs to be properly adjusted or you're in for headache. It was well worth the $30.

HAVENT CHECKED MY THREAD IN A FEW DAYS, but DAMN! Thanks for the info everyone. Grinder especially. I DID buy the guitar, the guys set it up really nice and sat down and showed me what I need to do and suggested changin one string at a time, stretching it and then move on and then lock them down. so far, it has been heavenly! the strat I mean.. I LOVE it, i have an american tele too but I like the different sounds from each. thanks

grinder said:
Some of the strings on my guitar go flat and some go sharp, when locking down the nut. I don't know if this is common with Floyds, but it stays constant on my guitar, so I compensate when I tune up, before locking down the nut.

That's because when you tighten down the locknuts they can rotate slightly pulling some strings slightly sharper and others flatter.

Back