Floating Trem Tension Springs Resonating- Ruining guitar tracks

Uladine

I recently purchased a guitar with a locking tremolo. It's been a while since I've used one. The tuning issues don't really bother me, but the springs resonating in the trem cavity is driving me nuts. I play a lot of staccato parts with fairly high gain (Not death metal high gain, but a pretty healthy amount of distortion) and I always have a piece of foam tucked under the strings behind the nut to keep them from resonating. I thought of packing some foam between the trem springs and the trem cavity cover plate to silence them, but I'm afraid the foam might get pinched in one of the springs during a divebomb or something and prevent the bridge from returning to zero. During a live situation that would be a disaster.

I'm basically wondering if anyone knows of any methods to deal with this problem and if they would like to share them. Thanks in advance.

Thats a good idea. I know that the springs on DW bass drum pedals have felt inserts inside to keep them from squeaking. They should do the same with trem springs.

MadAudio said:
I rolled the TP into tubes and jammed them in. Just make sure to use unscented!

More importantly, make sure it's unused... Ooooh, sorry about that...

A small square of foam (like a chunk of auralex, or soft foam) between the springs and the trem cavity works wonders!!

and if you sweat a lot, won't make the toilet paper turn mushy!

LOL ;)

I always used weges of makeup applicator foam sponges. They sell them in bags next to the cotton balls at the grocery store or pharmacy. Since they're wedge shaped, you can just cram them right in between the springs. I never kept the back cover on my guitar that had this trem, and the foam never fell out.

Back