FLO, attack time, decay time, sustain level

asterix12

Where can I learn what is FLO, attack time, decay time, sustain level, release, amplifier, pitch, filter...
Thanks

Google search. :)

What is it you are asking about anyway? a VSTi synth? You really need to be clear about what you are asking man...

I myself have no clue as to what your question is about or related to.

It's padshop in Cubase. a instrument. Is it a VTS I don't know?

In general attack, sustain, decay time, etc. mean the same. But if you are setting up a synth, there are a lot of settings that really require some research and experimentation. You probably are dealing with wave form, offsets, etc.

If you are modeling a sound, it gets pretty complex. I have spent hours trying to get a sound, so do your home work and do some research. It will give you the ability to tailor a sound to your needs, but prepare to spend a lot of time on the endeavor. You will use this knowledge as well if you get into sampling instruments and various sounds as well.

In general attack, sustain, decay time, etc. mean the same.

Sorry David, that's not true.

They're 3 different parts of an envelope.

A sound can have a fast attack, long sustain and medium decay.

A snare drum generally has a fast attack, no sustain and fast decay.

A bowed violin can have a slow attack, long sustain and quick decay.

Just a few quick examples.....:)

Sorry David, that's not true.

They're 3 different parts of an envelope.

A sound can have a fast attack, long sustain and medium decay.

A snare drum generally has a fast attack, no sustain and fast decay.

A bowed violin can have a slow attack, long sustain and quick decay.

Just a few quick examples.....:)

I think you missed the point. The meanings are the same. Understanding of their meanings in "general" will help with many different areas. And you made my point. You used the same words for three different instruments, and the words meant the same. That was what I was trying to convey. Should have worded it better, but researching what they mean would have given the OP the knowledge he/she required.

I think you missed the point. The meanings are the same. Understanding of their meanings in "general" will help with many different areas. And you made my point. You used the same words for three different instruments, and the words meant the same. That was what I was trying to convey. Should have worded it better, but researching what they mean would have given the OP the knowledge he/she required.
No, I think you missed the point as well as the meaning. They don't mean the same thing at all and I pointed that out and explained it perfectly. What part did you not understand? They mean 3 completely different things.

So you're saying that "attack" and "decay" mean the same thing? That's peculiar.

Last edited:
No, I think you missed the point as well as the meaning. They don't mean the same thing at all and I pointed that out and expelained it perfectly. What part did you not understand? They mean 3 completely different things.

OK, each word describes the same thing concept where it is used (Attack=attack across its use), the values may be different. An attack is an attack, fast, moderate, slow. The word is used the same regardless of where it is used. Compression, sythn modeling, whatever.

I was just trying to assist the OP in researching each term's meaning so they understand their uses. Didn't mean to imply that each word means the same.

Forgive me for getting confused by your posts. My bad I guess. :eek:

No, you're right. I did make an assumption since they were different words, that their meanings would be different. I should have been more succinct in my post.

No, you're right. I did make an assumption since they were different words, that their meanings would be different. I should have been more succinct in my post.

Nah, that wouldn't have been any fun. :) It's all good bro. :cool:

Back