Flip Top Transformer

bassman1441

I have an Ampeg B15 N with a bad power transformer. I have found some replacements online, but $220 seams like too much for a PT. Does anyone know where I can get one that is equivalent? Please no suggestions for trying to rewind the PT myself.

Power transformers for any tube amp are pricy things... if you can get the specs for the tranny, you can sometimes find one that matches it, but that's WORK (which is probably why the ones already matched up are pricy.)

I was just putting the amp into stand by before shutting it down completely and it just died then and there. It's 47 years old I think it just has to do with age and deterioration of the insulation on the windings. I've been checking other components but unfortunately the amp was built long enough ago that there are no labels on the schematic or the amp itself as to what component is where or which is which, so you just have to try to follow the traces with the help of a multimeter.

You have the dimensional drawing on that web page, so check that it will line up with your original mounting holes. Highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened. You sure don't want to have to drill out four new holes, or even six new holes. :eek: I've seen it done, and it's always butt ugly. Of course no one sees inside, but still.......

Back