Flexibooth INSTEAD of Traps?

tonesponge

I'm still suffering from stickershock at the prospect of spending 6K on traps to treat a 10x13x8 foot room, and I'm wondering if it might be feasible to just eliminate the room with two or three iso booths (especially since a space that size is never going to sound actually good).

So I was looking at the flexi booth Primacoustic FlexiBooth | Sweetwater.com, and I like the price. If this really works even in an untreated room to simply eliminate the room, then that possibility appeals to me.

But I'm wondering if they work for recording a guitar cab or a bass cab the same way. I could continue to record bass direct and use my ekit. However, I at least want to mic my guitar amp.

So is it possibly a good strategy to get two or three flexibooths, or if the flexibooth only works for vocals, get a separate iso booth for guitar cabs and maybe even a bass cab? I want something at least large enough for me to stand in with the amp and guitar and play into the amp for musical feedback. Would this drum booth work for guitar?

ClearSonic IsoPac A | Sweetwater.com

Room treatment is for creating a good listening environment for mixing primarily*. You don't need to treat the whole room for recording - especially close-micing cabs. Vocals are a bit different as the mic is liable to pick up some room sound but there are several ways to deal with that and that flexi thing may be one (I don't know anything about them.)

I am nearing the end of a treatment project on a 10x20x8 room - check the thread. DIY I have about $800 into it. While Realtraps and GIK are good folks with great products I don't have a pro budget.

*A well-treated room is a better sounding room for recording, of course. I'm just trying to bring attention to the fact that even if you isolate your sources sufficiently you will have bigger issues mixing in an untreated space.

lou

stickershock at the prospect of spending 6K on traps

Wow, where'd you get that number? I'd change that "k" to a pair of zeros. $600 will make a HUGE dent in the Roxul or OC703, fabric and lumber to make all the traps you need for a room that small.
And, +1 to Lou. Your main objective for treating the room is a get an accurate listening environment for making critical mixing choices.

And, +1 to Lou. Your main objective for treating the room is a get an accurate listening environment for making critical mixing choices.
Thanx, man. I was struggling how to word that bit without coming off as some "expert" which I most assuredly am not. Just parroting what I've learned from my reading on the forums and sorting out the wheat from the chaff as best my common sense tells me.

lou

Thanks for the calrifications.

I got 6K from figuring up the 30% surface area that "realtraps" recommends, and counting on paying the $200 per 4 ft by 2 ft piece of real trap. I noticed that GKI traps are more like $110 each, and that if I buy owens corning 703 and use the superchuink method, I can drop that down to about $80. But I still think it needs to be well over 2 grand in owens corning material alone, even if I DIY. But Roxul is more like $20 per section that size if I'm not mistaken, so that could make it more like 1.2K.

How can I make it even more economical?

Thanks for the calrifications.

I got 6K from figuring up the 30% surface area that "realtraps" recommends, and counting on paying the $200 per 4 ft by 2 ft piece of real trap. I noticed that GKI traps are more like $110 each, and that if I buy owens corning 703 and use the superchuink method, I can drop that down to about $80. But I still think it needs to be well over 2 grand in owens corning material alone, even if I DIY. But Roxul is more like $20 per section that size if I'm not mistaken, so that could make it more like 1.2K.

How can I make it even more economical?

Last time I bought a package of OC703, I got 4" thick pieces and it came in a bundle of 6 and it was about $140 for one bundle (I know others have done better than that price too). Also, check out this recent thread... https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/studio-building-display/need-advice-room-316425/ Thats about the same size as your room. Fitz did a very nice rendering for him showing treatment locations. I think I counted 24 2x4 pieces in that rendering... so, 4 bundles at $140 is $560. Of course you'll have another hundred or two in lumber fabric and fasteners (depending on how nice of a finish you want), but I think you can keep it well under a G. Also, you don't *have* to do all this at once. Just doing the 4 vertical corners and reflection points on the walls will make a huge difference in any untreated room. Hope that helps...

Back