Fixing drop samples

Waffleness

Hello,

A friend of mine asked me the other day how you would fix a drop sample in post production?

For example, you have a nice continuous waveform, and due to an input error it jumps from one value to another instantaneously, creating a cracking.

Ideally this is not fixed in post production, but if any plug ins or techniques exist, I would be interested in them.

Waff

Hello,

A friend of mine asked me the other day how you would fix a drop sample in post production?

For example, you have a nice continuous waveform, and due to an input error it jumps from one value to another instantaneously, creating a cracking.
A lot depends upon the nature of the drop. If it's just a single sample, it will often be fairly inaudible, because things just do not change that much in 1/44,100th of a second - or even 1/22,050th of a second if the problem is two samples, and any such a click caused will will probably be a transient above human hearing range anyway.

But, going with your hypothetical, let's say that it is audible enough to want to edit. It does happen sometimes. Sometimes just a 3-sample gain reduction is all you need; the ear tends to blur instantaneous silences better than audible transients. Sometimes just re-drawing the curve around the drop to "connect the dots" better will work OK.

A new tool which holds a lot of promise for this kind of editing is the spectral editor in Adobe Audition. Imagine being able to edit your sound by using PhotoShop on a spectral timeline display, and kind of what you got. It has "paintbrushes" that allow you to perform functions like "cloning" and "smoothing", which until now were strictly the realm of image editing, but by editing the display it winds up performing those kind of functions on the audio itself. A quick swipe or two of the right "brush" across the doomed samples might be all you need to make the dropped samples disappear.

G.

Just load it in a wave editor, zoom in to sample level and draw over it. You may need to draw several samples on either side of it to make it nice and smooth.

Back