Fixing dings - big dings?

slowmotion

Hey hey

So a guitar has come to me with some fairly big "dings", a victim of live show craziness.

Poor old high E hehe (will replace the machine head or dismantle and attempt to bend it back (not that I hold much hope for that))
IMG_4596.jpg

Nice hunk out of the fretboard
IMG_4593.jpg

As a side note the pots have been smashed IN as well haha and yes that's blood so she'll be getting a thorough cleaning.
IMG_4592.jpg

Repairing the electrics is no sweat. But...

Is there any tricks to save or minimize these dings (I have a feeling they won't steam out heh)? Particularly the one on the fretboard (it doesn't affect the sound, but it does affect the feel) - perhaps just some coloured filler?

I'm tempted to just leave the headstock one alone, maybe seal it?

Obviously the owner isn't too precious about it, but keen to hear thoughts on how to approach the issues.

Take them in order.

The headstock. Replace the machine head or repairing the bent post shouldn'r be a too much of a problem. The breakout at the head is going to need piecing in and is a pretty trick job even for a tech. It won't steam out. It won't effect the function of the instrument as it is so if you can live with it just leave it. If it has any bare wood showing seal it off with shellac.

The fingerboard is going to need attention. The easiest fix for that is to pull the frets either side and piece in a bit of rosewood and reshape. Not that hard but needs doing right.

The electrics as you say, no problem.

So there are chunks out of the wood of the guitar, bent pieces of metal, pushed-in pots, and blood?!? Did your customer beat somebody over the head with that guitar? Was it involved in a felony? That's got to be the most curious assortment of damage I've ever seen!

So there are chunks out of the wood of the guitar, bent pieces of metal, pushed-in pots, and blood?!? Did your customer beat somebody over the head with that guitar? Was it involved in a felony? That's got to be the most curious assortment of damage I've ever seen!

Dude, I've seen a LOT LOT worse than that. I could have that in loved and looked after condition in less than a day.;)

I'm just dying to know the story about how a guitar gets huge dings like that, plus gets all bloodied up. Sounds like it was either used as a weapon or it witnessed a horrible violent crime!

So there have been worse in your shop eh? Like if some guy comes in with a guitar that's soiled with blood, hooker sweat, cocaine, gunpowder residue, and a couple of bullet holes, do you have a don't ask/don't tell policy? :D

"Hmmm, I think I can get your wife's blood out of the tuning pegs, but there's a chunk of her hair that I just can't get out from under the tailpiece. I'll do the work if you can show proof of life". hehehehe

I'm just dying to know the story about how a guitar gets huge dings like that, plus gets all bloodied up. Sounds like it was either used as a weapon or it witnessed a horrible violent crime!

So there have been worse in your shop eh? Like if some guy comes in with a guitar that's soiled with blood, hooker sweat, cocaine, gunpowder residue, and a couple of bullet holes, do you have a don't ask/don't tell policy? :D

"Hmmm, I think I can get your wife's blood out of the tuning pegs, but there's a chunk of her hair that I just can't get out from under the tailpiece. I'll do the work if you can show proof of life". hehehehe

Seriously, you don't want to know about some of the guitars that get presented and the stories behind them.

Most involve airlines, people reversing over them, ex girlfriends/wives/mistresses, kids/children/teenagers, ex band mates, disgruntled punters, jealous boyfriends, failed drug deals, successful drug deals, death or loss of virginity, sexual favours or any combination of the above. Trust me I've heard it..:o

Haha no crimes here, just over zealous stage antics and general lack of love. Blood is nothing new for sure, some guitars are for shredding, some shred you :laughings:

Muttley, thanks for the advice. Will just leave the headstock (and seal it), put on a fresh tuner (it really doesn't want to bend back). As for the neck, I see what you're getting at - remove frets, route out section, add wood... but I don't have any rosewood (collecting woods is something on the (never ending) list - I'm still tooling up (also seemingly never ending!)) so I might send it onto someone with the right stuff to do it in style. And I get to start looking at buying some wood stock :D!

Haha no crimes here, just over zealous stage antics and general lack of love. Blood is nothing new for sure, some guitars are for shredding, some shred you :laughings:

Muttley, thanks for the advice. Will just leave the headstock (and seal it), put on a fresh tuner (it really doesn't want to bend back). As for the neck, I see what you're getting at - remove frets, route out section, add wood... but I don't have any rosewood (collecting woods is something on the (never ending) list - I'm still tooling up (also seemingly never ending!)) so I might send it onto someone with the right stuff to do it in style. And I get to start looking at buying some wood stock :D!

If you can find a luthier or cabinet maker near you a piece of indian rosewood that size would be sitting in the trash can or bits box. No charge if you knocked on my door.

As you say, remove the frets. Remove the top sectio of the f/b between those frets. Match up a pice of rosewood and glue it in. Flush it off and recut the fret slots. Sand and oil after replacing any inly. Half a day for me to do. A fairly good project for a competent hobbyist.

It looks as if the next fret up has a dent that may well sweat out. Carefully scrap the wood bare, don't sand it. Just enough to remove the gunk on it. Get a ball of cotton wool and wet it so it is damp. Lay it on the f/b for an hour or so. You should see the dent start to rise. You can add more water to the cotton wool which will keep it localised. The final bit can be done with a wet cloth and the tip of a domestic iron. Sand and oil as above.

Thanks mate I really appreciate it.

I'll see what I can dig up; and have a chat to the owner and see what he wants to do. I believe I can do it, it's just finding wood that matches. Good call on the cabinet makers bins ;). And since my router is probably a bit big and clunky for this, it's the excuse I need to buy that precision dremel router base from stewmac haha.

I've done many a setup in my time but venturing into the proper woodworking arena I'm still very green!

Thanks mate I really appreciate it.

I'll see what I can dig up; and have a chat to the owner and see what he wants to do. I believe I can do it, it's just finding wood that matches. Good call on the cabinet makers bins ;). And since my router is probably a bit big and clunky for this, it's the excuse I need to buy that precision dremel router base from stewmac haha.

I've done many a setup in my time but venturing into the proper woodworking arena I'm still very green!

Where are you? I might be able to post a scrap to you if your not in a hurry.

Don't get the stewmac dremel base for that job, dremels are good for what they are but they are seriously under powered and not good for removing much more than a few mm for inlay. You'd be better off doing it with a sharp chisel rather than that. A good jig and a steady hand with any decent router would do it.

Where are you? I might be able to post a scrap to you if your not in a hurry.

Don't get the stewmac dremel base for that job, dremels are good for what they are but they are seriously under powered and not good for removing much more than a few mm for inlay. You'd be better off doing it with a sharp chisel rather than that. A good jig and a steady hand with any decent router would do it.
I'm in Brisbane; I'd accept the offer gladly, but it's a bit far and I'd need to return the favour in some way (I'm not sure I can post a beer).

Sharp chisels I have (and a decent router) but interesting you say the dremel would be underpowered. I didn't consider that at all; but I can see what you're saying. Back to the drawing board.

Hah that is a long way. Coudn't really get much farther away. Give me a shout if you get stuck with it.

I have dremels but I can't remember the last time I got one out and used it it. I have smaller air powered drivers and trimmers that are far better. I would rather do it with a bigger router if I had to. Rule of themb for all power tools go bigger than you might think you need. It's better to have the extra and not need it than to need it and not have it.

If you are confident you can use hand tools accurately that is the way to go.

Back