First try using a Bass PODxt, opinions wanted

dabluesman

I remixed my cover of Robin Trowers "In My Dream" with a new bass track. It took me days to dial in this sound on a Bass PODxt. I'm hoping that the bass track sits better in the mix now and has a more solid feel to it. I'll post the original version (which I used a J-Staion and SansAmp Bass DI pedal to get the bass tone) and this bass remix version. Please let me know if it's better, worse or about the same. Especially those of you with good monitors (unfortunately I'm stuck with monitoring through my Aiwa stereo system...) Thanks!

In My Dream Original Version
In My Dream Bass PODxt Version

Nice full sound. A little too much low end for me with that bass drum sharing those deep lows. I`d turn the bass down a tad, shelve the lows a bit and turn the kick and snare up a little more. Or to keep that deep bass, shelve the lows on the kick a bit and turn it up.

Wow, hadn't heard this before. A real nice sound. How was it all done? Bass sounds good but I haven't listened to the original yet

Thanks Toki987, I understand what your saying, I'll keep that in mind.

CanopuS, First I made the drum track with a Zoom RT-323 machine, then I made the rhythm guitar tracks with my Les Paul copy through a Fender Cyber-Twin amp. One thing I did with the rhythm guitar track that has the tremolo effect is make two tracks out of it, one panned hard left and the other right, then I moved the right one back a few milliseconds, this really makes it sound more spacious. Then I did the lead guitar track and vocals, then this new bass guitar track with my '90s MIJ Fender Jazz bass through the Bass PODxt. Everything went direct to my computer via my M-Audio Delta 66 interface (I hooked up the Omni box with mic inputs for the vocal track and used a SM-57 mic with one of those pop filter things on it.) I used Cool Edit Pro 2 for multitracking and setting the levels of each track (I try to never use EQ, I try to get the sound I want from the amp or Bass PODxt and leave it that way... though the Bass PODxt has a 6 band parametric EQ that I found to be very helpful.) I use DSP-FX AcousticVerb on all the guitar, drum and vocal tracks seperately to add room ambience (on the bass track I used a little bit of the PODxt's chamber reverb.) After all that I open up the mixdown file in Steinbergs Loudness Maximizer plugin, click the boost button and add about 4 db of gain. This song is by far the most busy off all the one's i've recorded, with it's four guitar tracks, a drum track, a bass track, and vocals. But I think it came out very well.

Back