First "true" multitrack

ghostred7

I got Addictive Drums from XLN audio and wanted to try to practice mixing since I'm such a noob at it right now. So I laid down various random beats from the library, and just started layering (again for practice) randomly. Along the way, I got the idea to just record any random thought I had come up b/c it's been over a decade since I've had ANY creative energies in the music arena. I'll warn you....it's repetitive, sloppy, and will probably bore the hell out of you. There are no leads, no/little dynamics, just random thoughts from an almost 40y/o coming back from a nearly 20yr "rut." Please stomach it enough to listen all the way through and give some critique. Much appreciated & thx in advance.

Note: Mixing these on a very sub-par set of headphones (Sennheiser HD203). I won't be able to afford good headphones or monitors for a while :(

I didn't think it sounded too bad. The distorted guitar sounded good. For my tastes it had just a little too much gain and not enough bite. But that's just me I think.

I'm on phones so I can't be sure, but that bass sounded REALLY rumbly. Far too many lows/subs. Just a guess though.

Really minor nits though. I thought it sounded good. But yeah it was really repetitive. :)

I didn't think it sounded too bad. The distorted guitar sounded good. For my tastes it had just a little too much gain and not enough bite. But that's just me I think.

I'm on phones so I can't be sure, but that bass sounded REALLY rumbly. Far too many lows/subs. Just a guess though.

Really minor nits though. I thought it sounded good. But yeah it was really repetitive. :)
Thx!!!

Ya....the bass will require a different set of strings for the tuning i'm in. I'm using a "standard" set that's tuned down from Eb to Bb. VERY wobbly.

I'm also planning on trimming in places to kill some of the life-sucking monotony out of it. Baby steps....I'm still trying to learn how to mix this thing THEN i'll re-write lol.

Well, you're definitely in the ballpark. Sounds pretty good, especially given the hiatus you describe.

I like the percussive heavier bits more than the mellower sections myself...did they even make sounds like that 20 yrs ago? I guess I expected something more dated given your situation.

I think the guitars sound pretty cool. The drum sections really varied. Some sounded fine, but in other sections the cymbals sounded really distorted and/or squashed. I think Trip is right about the bass guitar - it's rumbly and lacks definition. Overall good though...I did listen through the whole thing, but it could maybe stand to be shortened a bit?

I'm hearing a lot of pops and some clipping kind of sounds. I don't know what that could be...maybe me...maybe the recording.

Back