First track recorded to tape.

DAS19

Ok well this was a project for school where we just had to record a full band completely to tape not using pro tools at all. It was recorded using an oram console and a otari mtr 90 24 track tape machine in one of the studios at my school. I got my friends to come in and they laid down this sweet track that sounds awesome on tape.

Its not even mixed yet but I think only some slight tweaking it needs before it can be stamped done.

Tell me what you guys think of the tracking and how the stuff sounds raw because there is no processing what so ever. I didnt know where to post this because I dont really want you guys to judge the mix because its not mixed at all just the sounds and what you think of the over all production.

Heres a little background on the session. My two friends who are brothers came down from new york city bringing all of their stuff except drums. I told them I could probably through together some drums because we had a shell and some spare stuff in the studio and I would only have to borrow cymbals and hardware and stuff like that. So they get here I really dont have anything for them o play. Once we get to the studio we find a broken snare, a kick drum with one skin and no pedal, and an out of tune floor tom. THe coolest part is my friend through the kick drum on a chair places the broken snare open a chair next to it and places a tambourine on it. HE then put the floor tom next to it all and created what looked like a drum set king kong would play. To top it all off we had no sticks and he was forced to ply with maracas. I thought it was the coolest thing and was so glad we had to mcguiever(sp?) up a drum set with basically nothing.

Anyway most of this stuff was recorded in one take including the main rhythm track s. Weonly did two or three takes tops which is pretty amazing and relaxing to work with good musicians. Enjoy and tell me what you think. I personally love the song but I already knew these guys were good I want to focus on how my recording is.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=805068&songID=6958473

um....sounds amazing, dude! I love all these awesome recordings coming out of this forum. And this one's no joke. You're using some high-end equipment there. 2", eh?

Recording sounds really cool. Yeah obviously it's not mixed (the vocals seem pretty quiet), but the instruments sound nice.

I like the song too, but I just have one opinion. (I know you didn't ask for opinions on the songwriting, but oh well.)

I really don't like the first chord of the chorus (I guess it's the chorus---"it's only you ... I swear still only you..."). It's hard to tell exactly what the chord is with this mix, but it sounds like either the same V chord (E7) that the verse ends on or a iii chord (C#m), which in this case kind of sounds like a substitute for the V chord (only one note difference between the chords).

This is just my opinion, of course, but it's confusing to me; it sounds like an extension of the verse. I think a I chord (A) would make more sense.

Or maybe the first chord of the chorus could be a vi chord (F#m), and then the second chord, which is now F#7, could be changed to Gº7, which would be acting like an F#7b9.

It just seems like the first chord of the chorus should be something that suggets the tonic, or something that subs for it (like the vi chord). I'm not saying that all choruses should start on the tonic at all. It's just that, in this song, since the verse ends on the V chord, having a V-type chord at the beginning of the chorus is confusing.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. These are just my opinions. The recording sounds cool! :)

thanks for the commments.

engineers really dont have any say on the chord progression of a song sooo... yea.

Didn't have a chance to hear this track previously but I'm glad I did. Currently listening. Yup, it's THE tape sound. No mistaken it. Sounds really sweet and creamy.:D

--

Back