First track in my new room!

Enchilada

Strange person.
Hey guys,

I've just put floor to ceiling bass traps in my studio room. My project studio is a fairly basic setup - one room for tracking and one room for mixing.

Our band is called Buck Tracey and the Hurricanes. We're a two piece guitar + drums band playing mostly bluesy, pop-rock. This track a lot more pop sounding the our usual material. This track has been mixed very roughly. I've compressed the guitars/vocals and added reverb on the vocals/snare. Aside from that it's pretty raw. I've purposely brought the kick up more than I would to fill out the bottom because there's no bass.

Any noticeable issues with the mix or comments would be highly valued :D

THANKS!

Ench

Attachments

• Mexican Restaurant.mp3
    8.5 MB · Views: 34
At 2.45, the left guitar cuts out for a couple of seconds.

As for the mix, it sounds like the vocal and the drums are in decent relationship to each other, but the guitars (maybe because there are guitars left and right?) are sort of loud and trebly and thin in the parts where they're being strummed . You can turn them down a taste, and EQ some cuts starting around 2K or 2.5k and experimenting from there, but how can you beef up/fill out the guitar sound? Dunno. Whatcha think?

Thanks for the feedback dobro. What happened there was the lead came out of the guitar. We thought it was quirky and decided to keep it in.

When you say the guitars are thin when strummed, do you mean the dirty guitars? Giving it another listen I probably could pull the dirty guitar back. I'll give that a go later tonight. Might also try a 250 bump if you think it needs to sound fuller.

Thanks again,

Ench

Thanks man, at the bottom of this post there's a link to a thread with some pics of my shed and here a thread with the bass trap build. There's still a bit of flutter echo in there that I need to sort out but I'm getting there. We thought of putting a bass in just for the recording but decided against it. Might throw a bas in there later just for fun to see how it would sound.

Ench

Back