first track bleeding into second track while overdubbing

cutout

I figure this is a common problem, but I don't know how to define it in order to Google it. Anyway, the scenario is:

1. I create a track in Garage Band and drag in a drum loop sample

2. I turn off my monitors, put on my headphones, create a new track, and record an electric guitar overdub

3. When I play back the guitar track, I can hear drums in the guitar track

(I'm using a Profire 610 for what it's worth.)

What I mean is: the drum track is getting recorded through to the the guitar track itself. It's not an issue of the headphones, I don't think.

What I mean is: the drum track is getting recorded through to the the guitar track itself..

And the possible reason for that is because your headphones are so loud while you track guitar, that the drums are bleeding out of the headphones and into the guitar mic. I said "possible" reason, because I obviously don't know for sure. But it's a possibility. I

I'm thinking it's either bleed or a routing problem.

If the unwanted recorded sound is clean and clear and just as loud as the original track, it's likely to be a routing issue.
If it's mostly high end and kinda in the background, it's most likely headphone bleed.

Set up to record guitar, turn the headphones off completely and don't play the guitar but do hit record.

If the drums are still piping through then you have some kind of routing issue going on and you'll need to investigate your I/O settings.
It is possible to record "what you hear" rather than input 1 or input 2. Maybe that's what's going on?

And the possible reason for that is because your headphones are so loud while you track guitar, that the drums are bleeding out of the headphones and into the guitar mic. I said "possible" reason, because I obviously don't know for sure. But it's a possibility. I

Gotcha. I'm recording a good 15ft away from the guitar mic, so I think it's something else.

Set up to record guitar, turn the headphones off completely and don't play the guitar.

If the drums are still piping through then you have some kind of routing issue going on and you'll need to investigate your IO settings.

Thanks, I'm gonna experiment with that.

It sounds like you're recording the same thing you're hearing, guitar+drums. Interfaces normally record just the inputs while playing a mix of the inputs and backing tracks. I think you must have changed some setting in the interface's software or in Garage Band, or you're doing something externally that defeats the normal separation between recording and monitoring.

Back