First timer...results

GrandMarkie

Well we've learned alot through this process with ok results. The original mp3 gets a little distorted just bc the levels aren't tweeked, but this gives you a good idea of the before and after.

Products used to record:
Nady Fusion mic kit w/ sm57 on snare
Echo Layla
Behringer and Mackie mixing boards
Sonar 4
Mixed w/ computer speakers :(

------------------------------
Original w/o mixing
Mixed version
-------------------------------

Things we will do differently next time:

- Different mic placement and mixing levels (this was the biggest problem we had on the drums...and we weren't about to go back and do them over)

- Click-track

- We used shitty guitar pedals instead of real pre-amps to record which caused unwanted frequencies (we now have a Triaxis to work with)

- Try a different technique to record guitars (we just mic'd them...next time we will try plugging DI as well as mic it for more flexibility)

- The vocals were recorded in a bathroom which gave too much reverb and not enough "in your face" feel

Any other suggestions for next time? Thoughts please!

First impression, the intro guitar sound needs some EQ help, pull out some hi-mids. The distorted guitar sounds a bit amatuer. The vocals dips down too low in spots.

In general I would concentrate on getting a bigger guitar sound for this. It needs it. The cymbals are a bit too loud and panned a bit too hard, what mic technique did you use overhead?

You should make the intro guitar sound match the outro sound. What is that hum at the end, is that a gear issue?

The vocals need a lot of help. I would try a bunch of different techniques to get them to cut through better. Try an LD with gain cranked and back off the mic in a fairly dead space.

Don't worry about mixing as much as retracking. 90% of what's wrong here would be better retracked. Believe me when you listen back to this in a couple years you will wish you did...I know because I have been there.

If this is a paying gig I would pull the cymbals down, eq the guitars a bit and compress the crap out of the singer while putting a few DB boost in his mid-highs (3-5K) and call it done.

hey, grandmarkie,

nice of you to post both pre/post-production versions.

just a comment on the vocals--sounds a little flat when the singer holds out the lower notes at 1:20, 1:27, 4:39, 4:45, etc. also, that's interesting that you guys recorded them in the bathroom. :) i might be totally off on this (still learning) but wouldn't increasing the upper frequencies give that "in your face" sound by increasing the airyness?

Thanks for the comments, this was mostly an experimental process. We are looking ahead towards recording again once we have new material, hence the reason we aren't going back to retrack. 2 overheads were used pointed directly down on each side. I was told to pan the overheads hard left and hard right...is this not the way to do it? The vocals was the toughest thing to mix. We keep telling our singer to sing the way he does live, since this recording has no energy whatsoever. I just don't know what effects, layering techniques, panning to use on vocals to make them fit.

The center guitar during the verse is eating up the vocal space. The guitar needs to come down there. All the vocal dynamics are being lost throughout the song. The vox sound low in the mix. The music seems to have alot more energy than the vocals. I agree that retracking needs to be done to get everything right. It's a solid tune overall. I would like to hear it again after it's retracked. Reminds me of Taproot a bit.

I for one don't like the singer. He needs to be more with the music style. I got all into the song until he started singin. Then I fell asleep. Hit my head on the keyboard, now I'm here tellin you about it. When I hear bands I like to know the singer is singin from his deepest feeling (or something with feeling). Maybe feed the guy some pep-pills to wake him up. *Reminder* This is my opinion, even if its not needed :P. I understand this is about the mixing process but its also the talent that makes the song sound good.

And Travis,
STOP FOLLOWING ME!
or...is it me following you???
j/k good advice as usual.
Keep up the good work all.

L8er.
livilaNic

Last edited:
Yeah...that guitar needs to be panned to the side....get it away from the vocals...you could double track the guitar part and pan them hard left and right...that would get you a much bigger guitar sound and get it out the way of the vox.

Cool song...maybe a tad long...but I liked it!

Wish

Wish,
what did you use for a bass amp on Heavy Metal demo. A paper bag? Timming timming its all about the timming! *Reminder* This is my opinion, even if its not needed :P.

livilaNic said:
I for one don't like the singer. He needs to be more with the music style. I got all into the song until he started singin. Then I fell asleep. Hit my head on the keyboard, now I'm here tellin you about it. When I hear bands I like to know the singer is singin from his deepest feeling (or something with feeling). Maybe feed the guy some pep-pills to wake him up. *Reminder* This is my opinion, even if its not needed :P. I understand this is about the mixing process but its also the talent that makes the song sound good.

Funny you say that...when we were recording we wanted to punch him in the balls to get him to sing the way he does live. He's holding back way too much and worrying about not messing up. Personally, I don't think his style as it stands goes too well with the music anyways, but just my opinion :)

GrandMarkie said:
Funny you say that...when we were recording we wanted to punch him in the balls to get him to sing the way he does live.
For once I can chime in with practical advice.
Punching him in the balls will not solve your problem, I speak from experiences. I also speak many octaves higher than you do...

Back