First timer Guitar cab build

TheBones

So I'm seriously considering trying to build a 2x12. I've done some research on the web and I think I'm going to use 3/4 inch birch plywood for the cab and baffle board and loading it with some eminence red coat speakers. I plan on a closed back design. I basically wanna rip of an orange 2x12. Any thoughts cOmments or advice for a first timer?

Lets hope your handy with wood a soldering iron and have patients. You should get decent results hopefully. Any plans to use tolex on the cab?

I have a bit of soldering experience. Not a pro but can get by. I've trying find as much as I can on tolex-ing. A couple of videos on YouTube. Honestly, it looks pretty tricky and it looks like the part i might have the most trouble with. My dad is going to help me with the wood work and I really am going to have patience and get this thing to turn out the best I can. Any and all tips, tricks, suggestions are much appreciated!

Measure twice cut once and do your homework on cab design before you go to the drawing board. Theres not an aweful lot to solder thankfully.
Birch ply isnt cheap so just take your time.
And heres my best bit of advice
Enjoy it.

I've built quite a few cabs ...... it's no biggie.
But I have never bothered with tolex.
If it's a PA cab I just paint it black and for guitar cabs I either go with staining and clear coating the wood or, on my most recent, went with a high gloss red.
If you use stuff like an acrylic marine type paint it's super durable and if you do chip it just touch it up.

hmm i never even thought about painting it… that would probably give it a pretty unique look… you wouldn't happen to have any pictures of that high gloss red floating around would you? i'm really leaning tword tolex though unfortunately.

hmm i never even thought about painting it… that would probably give it a pretty unique look… you wouldn't happen to have any pictures of that high gloss red floating around would you? i'm really leaning tword tolex though unfortunately.
nah ...... don't have the cab anymore.
I'm gonna do another one though and I liked the red so I'm gonna do that and instead of piping like they use for accents with tolex, I'm gonna use l-wire to outline the baffle with light.

It makes for a stronger cab and easier construction if you front load the speakers.

Set the baffle back a small amount from the norm (and allow for it in the rest of the cab dimms'if you like but 1/2 an inch or so is not going make diddly diff to the sound!) Then make 1/4" play front to carry the speaker fret and attach with Velcro.

This makes driver installation and replacement SO much easier. You might also consider making the rear panel in 3 near equal pieces so you can have the option of an open backed cab?

And I would not solder to the drive unit terms' but use crimp receptacles. Celestions LOOK like 6mm tags but are in fact 5mm. Dunno about Eminence, they are not much liked where I come from!
Dave.

If you go with tolex, I definitely recommend practicing on something first. The corners are quite tricky the first time you do it.

I finished my first cab build a few months ago. You can find the thread here by searching for 18 watt clone if you'd like.

Back