first time that im pretty satisfied.

Jonkan

Hi fellow homewreckers!
Here´s my newest songs,
http://figuresfromhere.iuma.com
, the two songs at the top. Recorded with my band in my small basement studio. For the first time i feel im starting to get the hang of this. So tell me what you think!
I havent really checked how the mixes translate on other systems. So some pointers would be great. If you want details on how I recorded them I´d be happy to tell.
happy tracking.
Jonas H

First I want to say I really like the tunes. The first one almost had an old Genesis kind of a feel on the intro. Great tunes. The only thing that stood out was an unpeasant resonance on the snare, kind of a boiing. Other than that it sounded pretty damn good.

Good tune (Bitchs & Hoes) though I, personally, would call it something else.

The 1st verse guitar didn't measure up to the drums. Part of it is the volume of the drums, but it is also that the guitar in the verse is pretty mono. It isn't wide enough to fill the space that the drums create. I was worried that the whole song would be like that, but when the extra guits kick in during the chorus my ears were very happy.

Sounds Ok, I suppose- adds good dynamics to the tune, but it also highlights the drums a lot. The drums sound good, but the snare doesn't sound so good that I liked it exposed like that.

Yup, on the second listen, everytime the hard panned guitars cut out I feel like I'm listening to drums. And you are the drummer of the band, from looking at your web site. Coincidence? ;)

The sounds pretty darn close. You might try comparing your mix to a CD that you and the others in your band like. My guess is that you will find that the drums in your mix are a bit loud during the quieter parts of the song.

Again, that's a pretty darn good tune! If I didn't have to get to work, I'd check out some of the others.

Take care,
Chris

oh that...
the snare was intentionally left that way, i kinda like it. Could´ve solved it pretty easily with some small eq cuts.
Everyone has their own preferences i guess :)
Yeah, perhaps the drums are too loud in the verses...(not too much i hope?)
But i kinda like the way that you can hear mostly the drums and vocals in the verse, again preference i guess. But if its bugging everyone ill have to remix...

Well, I think the drums are too loud during the verse, but that's just my opinion. I'd experiement with pulling them down a bit during the quite sections of the verse.

Again, the mix sounded pretty much dead on during the thickest parts of the song. To me, though, it sounds like you mixed the drums for those sections...then left the faders where they were for the rest of the song.

If you want the drums to stand out like that, thats cool. My experience has been that each member of the band will tend to mix with their instrument just a little louder than the mix calls for. That's why bands have producers to keep an eye on the overall sound of the project.

For your first mix that you are pretty satisfied with you have done a darn good job. :) My first mixs sounded...well, we won't go there. :)

Take care,
Chris

Jonkan -

to quote Y2Khai (www.y2khai.com, funny stuff...if you don't know, now you know ;) ) - "like wow".

I don't consider myself some big Indy fan or anything...though I love a lot of pavements stuff. But I honestly have to say that the first song I listened to was "gone left goodbye" - and within 5 seconds i adored your band. To me the drum sound is PERFECT. i totally get what you are trying to do here. I could ramble on man...but i swear to god..this song is speaking to me right now.
the drums...that cutesy guitar riff...just freakin amazing. And..the vocals...wow...all of it meshes so well. "All he ever wanted was more..time..." i love that...the vocals all in all have a "311" sound to me...(the softer side of 311).

Kudos to you - I am 19...and I am trying to get my band together to do some of our first recording...and listening to this song is going to have me sitting on my bed trying to re-write stuff...I just think it is THAT good.

In terms of the sound quality....from my perspective..here is what it "says". When I listen to say, the new album by "The Strokes", which would be defined as a "raw" sound...I love it. However..the Strokes raw says "we are good..we are great..we can do anything we want..lets do RAW" - ok...nice..i dig it. But, this recording says "Hey...lets record in a basement" - and it just IS raw. That's music man...through and through.

Oh well, I will try to pick my jaw off the ground now...this is just the best tune I have heard in a LONG time...where you guys located i want to see a show ;).

BTW - if you get some spare time...any information on what equipment you used to record the different parts of this (esp guitars and vox?) and any other tidbits...I would love to read about. And, are you the drummer as presumed?

later

ok, listened to the rest. Love bitches and hos...cool title IMO...i mean, sure it wouldn't fly on the billboard top40...but, with a title like that that can't be what you are going for. i think it's kinda funny...

your new recordings are definately much better than the old ones. What caused the metamorphosis?

this is the last post for now - I promise. Listening to "Broke By Way" now...really digging it. Ever heard of the band "Flickerstick"? They won some US tv show thingy for bands called Bands on the Run, anyways...they are from Texas...vocalist also sounds a bit like that guy to me...has almost a Texan/Southern drawl at times....you guys all from Sweden?

Guitar wise, a lot of it sounds like John Frusciante type style...whom I love. And overall sound kind of reminds me of "the get up kids"...really liking it.

anyways, that has nothing to do with mp3 mixing clinic ;)

Thanks alot Wes480!
its great that someone appreciates us, not many people do... :(
Funny that you like them, we didnt reherse before we recorded these songs, they turned out pretty good considering that i guess..
I actually did a remix of bitches & hoes where i raised the volume of the guitar in the verse. Perhaps that will solve some problems.
That will have to be my last attempt as i cant borrow the Tc m3000 that i used anymore. I like that box so much, maybe ill steal it from my dad ;)
The Guitars were recorded with an marshall jtm610 tubeamp pretty cranked, with an sennheiser mic. Its flat and square, gold on one side. Black on the other. (dunno what its called though, something "...black fire" I think). Also i threw an sm57 on one of the speakers wich i used aswell in "gone left goodbye".
The Vocals were recorded with, tada: an AKG c3000 with the singer pretty close up to try and get just the right amount of proximity effect. Later i added some minor eq tweaks to fit them more into the mix, some cuts at 400 (too much prox effect i guess) and +2 db at 1.3k to make it somewhat clearer. And also i put on a highshelv at 11k +2db appr.
for preamp I used a Mindprint di-port (24bit ad/da converter with class A mic preamps that sounds great to me, pretty clean....which i like. And on the guits. the usual mackie. all going into nuendo and a Yamaha Dsp-factory w two ax44´s. We recorded on my old celeron 400 puter, then i bought a new one (athlon xp1500+) and mixed on that, almost impossible for me to max this baby out. Well it´s damn hard anyway.
The drums were recorded differently in the two songs.
B & H drums were recorded with 4mics.
2 Akg c391 into the di-port, one over my shoulder. and one positioned about 1-2 feet over the rim of the floor tom with an equidistance to the snare center to avoid phasing problems.
1 shure beta 52, or perhaps an RE20 on kick. I cant remember. And also i tuned the kick in an unusual way to get rid of the usual rock type kick sound. I was going for a more "boomy" thud so I removed the front skin, and tuned the batter skin loose as hell.
1 sm57 on the snare, which I at first didnt use. But when we added the guitars and vocals the balance got fu*ked. So i had to put it up.
The drums in "gone left goodbye" were recorded with more mics.
the Akg c391´s were positioned in the more common spaced pair fashion (as high up as I could get them and a bit in front of the kit, wich made the sound more balanced) and then going into the di-port.
On the tom i used a sennheiser e604.
first i used an e604 on the floor tom aswell, but then i tried the RE20 and it blew the e604 away so i changed.
On the kick, i used the shure beta52.
On snare, the usual sm57.
And also I recorded the room with the C3000 placed in front of the kit just above the rim of the kick.
and then i squashed the hell out of it with a Waves ren comp. ;)and then put up just enough to make it somewhat trashy and raw. I didnt have the money to buy new drumskins, so that could explain the way they sound.
The Bass was recorded using a Countryman D.I and later i used psp vintagewarmer to compress/distort it a little. The vintagewarmer actually got used alot on the tracks. Esp on the guitars. I could mention aswell that we first recorded the drums and one guitar, we put the amp in a small closet/storage room with concrete walls. So i put a blanket over the cabinet to minimize the disturbing room sound. The other room were we recorded the drums is not very big. And has a low ceiling, so i tried to minimize the reflections from the roof to avoid nasty flutter echoes and such messing with my oh mics.
Thats it I guess.
Any other questions?
Jonas H

Back