First time set up

Lori15

Hello there -
I am reading books aloud and recording texts etc and I need some advice on a good set up to record my voice, perhaps add a little echo or reverb, while reading and subsequently adding images from the books, I need to be able to pause, save and close and then come back and continue recording or trim. I am not at all technical and have just bought a microphone and cheap recording software (Debut) on general Amazon recommendations but they are not really suitable and the mic has made no difference at all. I have a budget of around £200 - I am from the UK . Everyone on YouTube makes it look so easy -but as I say I am not technical so would prefer a one-stop package that is easy to use and fulfils the above.
Thank you so much in advance for any suggestions. Lorraine

Well, hopefully you haven't been discouraged by a lack of response here! What mic did you get? You might be better off getting something like Magix Music Maker. The "Premium" version is only $69.99, and it is quite useful. There's going to be a learning curve--there's no two ways about it, and just because You Tubers make it look easy doesn't mean it is easy, but it certainly is doable for anyone of some intelligence. It ain't hard, in other words, but you need to put some time and effort into it, and a few months down the road you'll be amazed at what you've accomplished. Also, how do you plan on getting the sound (your voice) into the software? Through a computer? If so, you'll need an interface, and there are plenty of good, cheap, and easy to use interfaces out there.

Thanks Tim for the reply. I bought a Rode in the end - now I am just figuring out how Debut works (yes I'm on a laptop) and yes it is a learning curve - not that I'm particularly stupid - I'm just resistant - the outdoors is so much more attractive to me! Cheers L

Hi....I'm thinking that your software might be ok for what you're trying to do. You may just need to get more familiar with it before you get discouraged and move on to something even more complicated. On the other hand...your statement that the Rode mic made no difference at all tells me that you may not have your setup correct. That mic should have sounded different. Perhaps the system is not even using your Rode and that's why your hear no difference. You might want to check your setup to be sure that it's not just using your laptop mic.

Just 2 cents worth of.....double check the instructions.

Mick

Hi Lorraine and welcome to Bedlam! You say you have a Rode mic but I cannot see how you are getting its signal into the laptop? This needs an Audio Interface as a general rule. Is the Rode perhaps a USB microphone? If so it is not perhaps the best way to go but do not despair! You should be able to make decent recordings with it, my son does with classical guitar on a 'lesser' mic than a Rode.

As USB mics are 'Generic USB Audio Devices their recording level is adjusted in Windows Sounds & Devices. I am not at all familiar with Debut but from a strictly sound recording point of view I suggest you try Audacity to get levels set correctly.

Regarding "effects" I would be cautious, most times people want CLEAR speech they can understand and adding reverb etc, can muddy things up. You might also like to investigate "Room Treatment"?

Dave.

Worth checking that you are speaking into the right side of the mic - we've had loads of people with mic issues who were speaking into the back of it, and once even into the end, thinking it was an end fire mic! No pun intended, but I'd echo the comment that effects for voice are often very annoying for the spoken word. I love audio books, and the worst have music and silly treatment - if the hero is in a cave, then in a movie the voice sounds like it's in a cave. In a book, it's the words that count!

Back