First time recording....Zoom RD-16 or Inexpensive Interface?

soma89

I just bought a EV re10 dynamic mic and really want to start recording. I like that the portability of a R16 but I`m looking for decent quality so I don`t know whether to go with that or a budget interface (under $400). I would also need some sort of LE software recording program. Any suggestions? I`m looking to record acoustic/vox/ and maybe bass a long with a drumming vst. Thx!

For me personally i always wanted to go the PC DAW route. Its all in one machine, mixer/instruments/FX and i can add hardware when i get the experience and confidence to do so. So if your like me with zero to very little music creation/recording experience i recommend the PC and software. Its WAY cheaper than getting the money to buy the hardware. So forget the Zoom R-16, use your PC.

For under $400 you will get a good interface. Everyone is raving about the Tascam US-800, dont think that itsa cheap n nasty thing just coz its at $99. Its been reduced from $250 or so as its been discontinued. See I personally didnt go for that coz im not in the US, (where its on sale at $99)and i dont need so many inputs, but need more outputs. Work out how many ins and outs you think you're gonna need, search the forum for other "help me decide on what AI i need" posts and see what people are recommending. Also head over to TweakHeadz Lab Electronic Musician's Hangout there are lots of good guides and tips for us nublets just starting.

Also you will most likely get some software with an interface. I just bought the M-Audio Fast Track Pro, it came bundled with a version of Pro Tools (Pro Tools SE), which can run up to 24 tracks. Not all free with equipment software will give you that many tracks, Ableton Live8 LE just does 8 tracks i think. So for much much less than the cost of the Zoom hardware you can get a good audio interface and software, you can be recording in the time it takes to install.

I`m looking into the Presonus Firestudio Mobile..I like that it comes with software and even EZ drummer LE I believe. Hopefully the thing sounds good. I bought the Tascam U 122 (?) back in the day and hated it and never touched PC recording again.

I`m picky when it comes to demos i see on youtube that were homemade...they also sound muddy and very digital. I hope this interface will do the trick for me, does it seem like I`m on the right track here? any other recommendations?

Back